X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Freeze

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

I've mentioned that the computers at my college ALL have this installed.

People have asked what it was. So I found teh linkage.

not a bad idea when you have users you don't have total faith in. only downside (or a bonus - depending on how you look at it) is that the user can't save anything to the hard drive

That's the whole reason for it.

Let's say that a program installed on a PC requires a user to be Admin.
    Well, any time that user downloads something, or goes to a website with malware, that stuff can be installed under the Admin privileges.

So, to protect the hardware, save time and manpower, DeepFreeze exists. It freezes the registry (IIRC) to disable any modifications or changes to the setup. This way, users can run the programs as needed, do what they need to do, and IF something nasty comes by and installs itself, you just reboot the machine.
    Voila, no nasty still on the box!!

It's great for classrooms and colleges - not everyone knows how to use a PC, and the ones that do can screw it up, along with those old programs that require Admin rights to be run.

Thank Deity for USB Sticks!!

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

That must be what the public internet access computers at the library have. You can do anything on them. But reboot ... and it's pristine. They're unbreakable. I've tried. Okay, I'm not an expert, but still, I've done all the things that used to p' us off when users did them, and they're all just gone on a reboot. Lovely and clean.

I love those things. Mostly in that I don't personally have to touch them, but heck, if I did, I think I'd love them more.

Comment

oh and i re-read it... you can make a partition for user saved files afterall. but yeah in my opinion this is pretty good.

i kinda wish we'd had it on my ships. cos half of our issues i swear were because the users downloaded something and screwed things up.

and personally what i saw of the price tag isn't very expensive.

Comment

Working...
        X