Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denied a learner's permit for what happened when 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied a learner's permit for what happened when 6.

This teen was denied a learner's permit by the DMV because he was playing in mother's car when he six and accidentally put it in gear and it rolled out of the driveway and into another car. I would think a scare like that would make someone a better driver.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...l.html?taf=den

Quoth Titi View Post
    I would think a scare like that would make someone a better driver. [/url]
    I know it did for me. When I was four I accidentally put my mom's truck into neutral, it rolled out of the driveway and crashed through a neighbor's fence. Other than scaring the crap out the neighbors and getting my mom some fairly large repair bills nothing ever came of it.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

WTF?!!! That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Why? That makes no sense! There's got to be more to this story.

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
          Why? That makes no sense! There's got to be more to this story.
          I think the more is that the parents had their insurance pay for the damage and truthfully listed that the "driver" was their son whom had knocked the car into gear while playing in it.

And the insurance had to put the claim in with the 6 year old's name as driver because of the type of program they use. And now the DMV is using that against him. I really feel bad about how much insurance he is going to have to pay due to this.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            WTF?!!! That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard!
            Same here.

I too had an incident of popping my dad's truck out of gear while playing at driving while he was in a service station. The truck started rolling backwards, and I had no idea how to stop it. Luckily, he heard me yelling and ran out to stop it, otherwise, the truck would have gone backwards into a 20' deep ditch...

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

My little sister did that a few years ago, but she didn't cause any damage. She just rolled across the street, over the curb, and onto the sidewalk. She was really upset and scared, naturally, but it was no big deal.
              It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

Had something similar happen to me when I was four and my brother was two. This is actually one of my earliest VIVID memories.

I had left something in the family van and got permission to take the key outside to go looking for it. Normally my mother would have supervised, but she had to talk with a contractor doing some digging very close to the property line (he'd come over to discuss it with her to ensure he wouldn't be digging up our lawn).

Being only 4, I didn't think to shut the front door behind me, which allowed my brother to toddle out behind me (he was following me). And I didn't notice him climb into the van while I was searching in the back. I looked up just in time to see him standing on the driver's seat, hauling on the handle that released the parking brake.

*POP!!!*

The van rolled out of the driveway and slammed into a tree on the other side of the street. The only damage was to the bumper; neither me nor my brother was hurt, though it scared the hell out of both of us. I can still see the contractor running full tilt over to the van - my mother only a step behind him - to make sure we were ok.

That didn't come back to bite my brother when he went for his permit, though it did renew a lot of teasing from the extended family about the incident (which he doesn't even remember).
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The statute cited in the case states "if an applicant for a license to operate a motor vehicle in this state prior to the issuance of a valid driver's or minor driver’s license or instruction permit or in violation of the terms of any instruction permit within 36 months prior to said application, the department has the authority to deny the issuance of said license for not more than 12 months."

The statute doesn't apply since the accident happened more than three years prior to the kid applying for a driving permit which means someone at the DMV can't count.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                  X