This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow, that's kind of impressive

So, short story, Irish student intentionally posts bogus information to wikipedia to see if any media outlets will use it as a source... and apparently they did

Irish Student hoaxes word's media
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

"More responsible ways" to test journalism? Maybe, but this make a bigger point, and makes bigger fools of the fools that try to use the easy way out.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Every single one of my professors for every class I have had that involves doing research in one fashion or another has said not to use Wikipedia as a source.... ever. And now we know why

Comment

What's funny is that this isn't the first time. Sometimes its a test like this, sometimes its an honest mistakes, and other times its for malicious reasons. Its rather comical that newspapers are talking about how they're losing money as readership goes down, yet they consider it good reporting to copy something from Wikipedia without researching it further. You should see how flimsy some of the articles in my local paper are, and this is a Gannet paper who could do good writing and research cost effectively thanks to their scale.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Others, he said, treated him as a vandal.
          ... only because they were stupid enough to copy the quote without checking their sources. He made them look stupid, and their egos aren't happy... therefore instead of acknowledging they were wrong, they blame him. granted sure it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't done the fake quote... but still, it's not his fault they failed to double check.

tho it is a good quote. i rather liked it.

Comment

Wow, I like that quote.

Still I'm not surprised. You'd think people would know better, I mean come on. Remember when Colbert got people to change the population of Elephants on Wikipedia. It's too easy to temporarily change Wiki.

Comment

Pfft. That's Research Paper Writing 101. It's okay to look at wikipedia, but you need to find that information somewhere else--a primary source. Sometimes I go to wikipedia if I need an idea or two to jump start something, but I'm damn sure not going to copy/past information from it and call it fact.

Silly journalists.

Comment

Did they even read it with thought? I mean, wouldn't a living person say "music IS my life", not music WAS my life"?

Comment

Working...
                X