This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Gaiman on entitlment

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html Have fun.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

From the above cited web site:

Quoth Gareth
    When writing a series of books, like Martin is with "A Song of Ice and Fire" what responsibility does he have to finish the story? Is it unrealistic to think that by not writing the next chapter Martin is letting me down, even though if and when the book gets written is completely up to him?
    Quoth Neil Gaiman
    And if you are waiting for a new book in a long ongoing series, whether from George or from Pat Rothfuss or from someone else...

Wait. Read the original book again. Read something else. Get on with your life. Hope that the author is writing the book you want to read, and not dying, or something equally as dramatic. And if he paints the house, that's fine.
    I can sympathise with Gareth. There are several series I have pretty much given up on getting the next book. However, a couple of times the sequel has shown up decades later. In the meantime, I do follow Gaiman's advice and invariably discover another series where I end up waiting for the next book. C'est la vie.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have such a mad crush on Neil Gaiman, and this completely made me love him even more. He's absolutely right. Where do people think writers get their inspiration? Creativity, especially any kind of art, is a very fickle thing. If it doesn't want to come out, it's not going to.

Go Neil!
      It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
      The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

Quoth sixums View Post
        Creativity, especially any kind of art, is a very fickle thing. If it doesn't want to come out, it's not going to.
        Creativity doesn't work on a schedule. One day you can write ten pages, then it's weeks before you can write the next page. Or you've got a picture in your mind, but it won't come out on paper until it's darned good and ready.

Some people can churn out work like an assembly line. The problem is, it usually looks like it's been churned out on an assembly line. Formula stuff, same old same old. Boring, in other words.

Believe me, it's just as irritating for the writer or artist as it is for his/her fans. So do your favorite writers and artists a favor; praise their work, yes, but don't demand more. They're trying to give you more; you just have to be patient.

(I'm no Neil Gaiman, but I do have a little experience with this sort of thing. )
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm reading the blog right now... I haven't been paying attention to him on twitter as much lately (finals week was taking my attention).

but I liked his comment
          Quoth Neil Gaiman
          George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.
          Sure there are books I'm waiting for still... I started the Soldier Son trilogy at the end of last year and read "Shaman's Crossing" & "Forest Mage"... went to the bookstore to get book 3 "Renegade's Magic" only to find out it wasn't due to be out until May....

So what did I do? I said "OK, what else can I read?" ... ended up reading Inkheart, a couple of Neil Gaiman books (Neverwhere & American Gods). Then when I was at the bookstore last I remembered it was time for that book to be out in paperback... and now I'm halfway through it.

It doesn't kill anyone to wait for a book.

Comment

Working...
          X