This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A prof takes on "snowflakes"

Oh, it's so good to read something like this...

http://chronicle.com/jobs/news/2009/04/2009041701c.htm
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

That article was nothing short of superb! I have a lot to say about "pweshus snowflakes" and education, but I'll leave it to Fratching.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

BRAVO!

I've never actually watched the show, but I'm currently reading a book about one woman's experience in culinary school, and it sounds in line with what they show on the tv show.

It's about becoming good chefs. Not pretty snowflakes. I love it.

Comment

I must say, this article has it all right.

I remember one of the teachers I consider to have been my favorites would not accept mediocre work from students. I remember very clearly one time that I turned in a paper and she gave it back with the following comment: "You're good enough to not need to resort to the type of writing you turned in here. Rewrite this and turn it in again, and this time don't use the literary equivalent of stalling. If you need help feel free to see me after school."

I do the same when I do peer reviews at college, I typically preface it with "what I am about to tell you will sound mean." My basic philosophy that I intend to use once I have a job teaching is that I'm not here to be your best friend, I am here to teach you something, that means I will be telling you, frequently, what you did wrong and what you can do to make it better.

Comment

Working...
        X