X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 years ago today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJ9xZws7ro

Mt St Helens erupted. I'm trying to find David A Johnson's video (who died while filming it).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

My grampa kept some ash in a glass bottle. He's about an hour or so away from Mt. St. Helens, but the ash went that far.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as he had but we had ash from it in New England - a very light dusting.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I love volcanoes. It's very tragic for the people who die as a result of their eruptions, but it's probably the most spectacular reminder that our planet is alive and kicking. My son's middle name is going to be the name of another volcano in the Pacific Northwest.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I was living in Vancouver, B.C. at the time. I woke up suddenly one morning (warm weather, so window was open), and a few seconds later saw the curtains billow inward. Found out later that day that MSH had blown up.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My mom was outside playing with her friends when it happened. They ran home freaking out over the sight of it. By the time she got home, she had ash in her hair.

I've been to Mt. St. Helens a couple times in my life, but now that I live up here, I want to go visit the park again.

Comment

The eruption happened a year before I was born, but I've learned alot about it over the years, and seen the videos.

A teacher of mine was living in Washington State at the time of the eruption. She didn't live near the volcano, but the place she lived was showered with ash. She has a bottle of ash that she once brought in to show the class.

I think volcanoes are interesting, but don't think I could live in the shadow of one without becoming jumpy and fearful...I always wonder how the people who do manage to keep their sanity...

Comment

Volcanoes and earth quakes fascinate and scare me....I was watching for the Alaska volcano to erupt some weeks back.

I can handle any type of weather (my meteorology training) but geological events? Crazy And amazing.
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

When I was in grade school I lived in anchorage alaska. In the summber between my 4th and 5th grade year mt. spur errupted. Ash was 3 inches deep. it was crazy. I was over at a neighbors house, and remember running to my house with a wet rag over my mouth. the sky was red and the ash was falling like snow.
                  My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

This is why I still live down here. No earthquakes, no volcanoes, Tornadoes are rare (they can happen but very rarely get higher than f-1). The only real threats are flooding for major t-storms and Hurricanes (which don't hit this area that often compared to the rest of the coast.)

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                      Volcanoes and earth quakes fascinate and scare me....I was watching for the Alaska volcano to erupt some weeks back.

I can handle any type of weather (my meteorology training) but geological events? Crazy And amazing.
                      I talk to my friends in CA and they say that even though they have earthquakes - there's not common for ones that cause any serious damage. We have hurricanes which cause widespread damage over dozens to hundreds of miles.

Yeah but two things scare me about earthquakes:

1) The ground, what you rely on 100% of the time, is no longer reliable.
                      2) You can see hurricanes coming form days ahead (maybe even a week) but an earthquake can strike whenever and wherever - very little warning (maybe a few minutes of you are aware of the signs).
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Y'all will probably like this then. Enjoy!

There's also this link--not quite a volcano but close enough

I also have these links to volcano-related pages. (I learned about these while taking a class on volcanoes...It was a blast!

USGS: World's Volcanoes

Volcanoes of the World
                        Last edited by flybye023; 05-21-2009, 03:35 AM.
                        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                        X