This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass hikes sales tax to 6.25%

The Massachusetts state legislature just passed a 25% hike in the sales tax - from 5 to 6.25%.

I can't WAIT for this to take effect. All us Mass CSers better get ready for the SCs to come out in droves to complain at the retail level about this new tax, even though the stores have nothing to do with it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...enate_app.html
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Meh Texas is at that already and in some local areas it's as high as 8.25% (like my area).

Y'all have fun with the new tax hikes!

Comment

they'll keep moving north to new hampshire, no sales tax

6% here

Comment

That's not too bad......it's anywhere from 7.95 - 8.30 % in my area, depending on which part of the city you're shopping in.

Comment

Quoth sarasquirrel View Post
          they'll keep moving north to new hampshire, no sales tax

6% here
          Property taxes are high in NH. They'll still live in Mass but shop in NH. When I worked at Staples (Salem, NH) we'd have people come in from NY to buy computers just for the tax free (hey, if you save yourself $200-$300 in tax it was worth it!).

That is a big hike, though.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I live within a 10-15 min drive to NH, so you'll bet I'm gonna take advantage of that! As much as I prefer the local Target to Walmart, well, to avoid a huge tax hike like that, I can suck it up. We usually go to NH for the non-essential shopping anyway (read-non food/drug store items), not for the direct fact that it's tax free, but because it's closer anyway (the tax free is a plus).

Comment

I got a feeling Patrick will veto it Dave.

Comment

6.25% that's it?

We're at 7% in the good land of New Jersey. And yikes! take a trip to NYC for the day! I don't remember how high taxes are there.
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

We're at 5% here in Cheeselandialand. The rate differs by county depending on whether or not a county sales tax is charged, or a tax to fund a sports stadium.

Though I'm sure that will rise before too long. Every other tax is.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

As long as Doyle stays in office, Irv, you can bet your liederhosen on it.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

My current rate is 8.75%, but some counties are well over 9%.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

hmmm i'll have to look up taxes here...

when i was growing up, the combined sales tax was 7% - oo it's 8% now.

according to wiki, the state sales tax is only 4%, which means the rest of it is from the local area add-on taxes... and clothing is exempt from state tax (up to $110) but apparently cities can still add their own tax on, if I'm reading it correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_t..._United_States

Comment

12% sales tax up here in canadaland down from 15 a few years ago no wonder we love shopping in the states

Comment

It's 7.85% here, which is a lot better than the 8.25% it is back home (in Arkansas). I know back there Gov. Beebe was trying to pass a measure that would drop the grocery tax, but I'm not sure if it ever passed.

Here, now that Gov. Sebelius has left us....who knows?
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Sales tax in NM seems to vary, at least in Santa Fe. I've seen 6.25 (in proximity to the Plaza), 6.6 (on the Plaza), and 6.75 (WM out Cerrillos Road).

ETA: Holy crap, where in the state is it 8%?
                              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-22-2009, 09:48 PM.
                              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X