Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grooviest Motel in Wisconsin . . .

Or not

The Gobbler motel . . .

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/index.html

Hope you like shag carpeting . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

I visited Lileks.com yesterday and made a happy discovery.

He has the original Interior Desecrations back up!

If you've never seen it, go do so. You'll be
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This has amused/horrified me.

My step father thinks this is all cool. My mother is dreading him wanting to decorate again.
      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Man. I was a little afraid. I have a taste for kitsch and I also have a taste for bright, unorthodox colors. I was afraid I might have to admit I liked some of these rooms in the Interior Desecrations link.

Fortunately, so far, I think everything is horrifying. Phew. what a relief that is. At least I'm not THAT tacky.

Some of those rooms DO make me feel kind of nostalgic, though!

EDIT: You know, I'm still looking and I am pretty open minded about this sort of thing, but this is the ugliest shit I've ever seen in my life. Holy CRAP!!!!! I mean, I LIVED in the 70's and I'm STILL shocked. How come they didn't make anything during that decade that didn't look cheap and flimsy?

SECOND EDIT: And thus I begin to go mad.
        Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 05-27-2009, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Fortunately, from what I can tell, the place has been demolished, although I haven't been that way in many years.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Fortunately, from what I can tell, the place has been demolished, although I haven't been that way in many years.
            awww dang ... Id love to stay there, in that one wedding room with the extra tv in the headboard=)

I have been reading the whole site for years - the food stuff is amazing=)

I will admit, I actually haunt libraries for decorating books like that. I have this really neat one on barbequing that has a round brick and stone table with a BBQ grill in the center, sort of like those patio sets with the little fire pit in the middle of the huge square or round coffee table, but this is actually designed for people to actually sit at and cook their meal, it is full table height!

I would love something like that, being able to grill my own stuff sitting comfortably at the table =)
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Fortunately, so far, I think everything is horrifying. Phew. what a relief that is. At least I'm not THAT tacky.

Some of those rooms DO make me feel kind of nostalgic, though!
              One or two of those rooms are almost tolerable. The rest...holy moly. Especially the ones that look like Satan's Bordello, or have furniture that you know is dreadfully uncomfortable just by looking at it.. The "mustard goat" one was a particular favorite (read: laughingstock) of my friends.
              And thus I begin to go mad.
              Agreed. That interior desecrator desperately needed this:
              Last edited by XCashier; 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM.
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                I visited Lileks.com yesterday and made a happy discovery.

He has the original Interior Desecrations back up!

If you've never seen it, go do so. You'll be
                I've seen it . . . and some of that stuff I've lived through while growing up in the 70's and 80's . . .

Ever seen a bathroom done up in godawful brown/green/yellow wallpaper with a brown claw-legged bathtub and a brown Trimline phone on the wall? That was the bathroom we had in our house growing up. My mom had a thing for chocolate brown and orange (we even had a bright safety orange kitchen in the 80's.)

Even the front door on our house was painted the same shade of orange . . . it did look cool, though.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Three words:

Harvest.
                  Gold.
                  Appliances.

My family had them for many years.

Whoever thought that was a good color for appliances needs to be taken out to the back forty and shot.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Three words:

Harvest.
                    Gold.
                    Appliances.

My family had them for many years.

Whoever thought that was a good color for appliances needs to be taken out to the back forty and shot.
                    My stepmom (up until about 3 years ago) had avacado green appliances in her kitchen. . . .

They were as old as the house (her dad built it in around 1969 or 1970.) The last piece that was replaced was the dishwasher.

Combine that with dark cabinets and it's that classic look . . .and you're not sure whether to revel in it or tuck tail and run.

We've never had the harvest gold appliances, but we did have a 1960's aqua blue refridgerator (the one with the freezer on the bottom) for several years.

And a chocolate brown 40 inch Hotpoint stove . . .which was given away almost 20 years ago to one of my ex's (and he still has this stove in his house today and it's as old as I am.)

If I ever get a home of my own, I'm redoing the kitchen in a late 60's/early 70's with either the harvest gold or avacado appliances.

Comment

My favorite apartment had an avacado green stove and a harvest gold fridge. Both were actually relatively new and fully functional. *sigh* That was a great apartment....
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

We went to visit some friends who were on a work crew restoring a pre-civil war plantation house on the edge of a marsh near Charleston. Three stories high. Seriously, Gone With The Wind material.

And what they were restoring it from was the previous fuckwit owners putting flocked metalic wallpaper on the bathroom walls, grass paper on the living room walls, and fake antique newsprint circa 1973 wallpaper throughout the third floor. And multi-hued, sculpted shag carpet.

Seriously. A 200 year old antibellum mansion. It looked like the Brady Bunch were using this place to drop acid in.

Comment

We went to visit some friends who were on a work crew restoring a pre-civil war plantation house on the edge of a marsh near Charleston. Three stories high. Seriously, Gone With The Wind material.

And what they were restoring it from was the previous fuckwit owners putting flocked metalic wallpaper on the bathroom walls, grass paper on the living room walls, and fake antique newsprint circa 1973 wallpaper throughout the third floor. And multi-hued, sculpted shag carpet.
                          Some folks just have no respect for history. Or beautiful historical buildings. Or any taste whatsoever, for that matter.

Just the thought of those Philistines inflicting their horrible taste on that beautiful old mansion you describe makes me want to them!
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

I know! It was blasphemy! No lie, you'd go into the loo, where there should be glorious clawfooted bathtubs and marble floors and what do you get?

Gold metallic wallpaper with bright red flocked fleur-de-lis. I st you not. I just threw up in my mouth a little typing that.

We're talking a grand old lady with huge sweeping Charleston porches on the first and second floors, a grand staircase, 300 year old live oaks draped with spanish moss all over the grounds. The works.

Just goes to show that money does not buy taste or common sense.

Comment

I hope your friends can restore that house to its proper historical beauty. Maybe they should make a website, with before and after pictures. I wouldn't mind seeing it (I like home restorations).

We have a beautiful historic house in our town, the Shelton-McMurphey-Johnson House that's been mostly restored to its historical beauty. The very thought of flocked metallic wallpaper on those walls makes me want to
                              My LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X