This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You a True Star Wars Fan?

This article is over a year old, but when I read it today I thought it was hilarious. I'm enough of a geek that I followed the article and followed along with it. Enjoy!

http://www.jivemagazine.com/column.php?pid=3381
    Do I dare
    Disturb the universe?
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Wow, that's kind of scary true. I was young enough when ROTJ came out that I rather like the Ewoks, because I was closer to the age group that they were aimed at.

That, and I loved playing KOTOR. That game kicked ass in many ways.

Comment

Apparently, I am not a Star Wars fan even though my entire life has been wound through with the very essence of Star Wars. I love Star Wars and while I don't agree with everything Lucas did with it- I can understand why he did it. I do own them all on DVD as well.

When I was five my Mother dragged me to see what I called, "some dumb movie." I called it that because there was something else playing that I wanted to watch. I had never heard of Star Wars and I didn't want to see it. Period.

I sat in the seat waiting for the lights to go down, trying to think of ways to entertain myself for two of what I was sure would be the longest hours of my short little life.

But then- something amazing happened.

The lights went down and the battle cruiser that, on the big screen, seemed to go on forever rolled over me and I was HOOKED. I have been a junkie ever since.

By the time ROTJ came out I was 11 years old and my family was having serious financial issues and going to the movies wasn't a luxury we could afford. The theater in my home town was then a family business- not some big impersonal AMC or what not (not knocking AMC). I went to the owner and I said, "I have no money, my Mom is broke but I simply HAVE to see Return of the Jedi. Is there anything I can do to earn admission?"

I cleaned the theater all day. Popcorn spills, sticky coke messes, took out the trash, etc. but I got to see ROTJ damn it! Not once but twice! The owner was so happy with the work I did she asked me if I'd like to stay for a second showing.

When the original trilogy went back to theaters MY son was about the same age I was when I saw it the first time and I made sure he got the full on Star Wars experience just like I did. I wasn't the only parent there that fateful afternoon as I sat down next to my son in the theater and listened to him whine that he didn't want to watch, "some dumb movie" and why couldn't we go see what he wanted to watch?

But then- something amazing happened.

The lights went down and the battle cruiser that, on the big screen, seemed to go on forever rolled over him and he was HOOKED. He's been a junkie ever since.
      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
      HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
      X