X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful names given to people

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/legendsubmit.html

Imagine being called Pearl Harbor, Jo King or Robin Banks. O_o
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Check this out for baby name disasters.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Could be worse - once came across a fellow by the name of "Phuc Yu".

That would be a name change as soon as it was legal.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Well, there was this guy who was the brother of a girl in my science class at school. His name was "Richard Head." O_o
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

I have an uncle who's first and middle names are John Wayne...

Truth is, almost any name can be made fun of when a kid is in school, and while some are more prone to it than others, I even had one kid who though it was funny to try and make fun of my first name, Charles.

There are however, some to be avoided like the plague, and parents afflicting their children with them should be charged with child abuse..

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/legendsubmit.html

Imagine being called Pearl Harbor, Jo King or Robin Banks. O_o
            I take it you never watched Scarecrow and Mrs. King?
            No one ever really commented on that show that Amanda's husband was named Joe... Joe King. O_o hahah

but for real life.. one of my old co-workers told me about a tech rep they had on board named Dick Dangler. One of the guys on the quarterdeck paged him by name on the 1MC (ship-wide PA system) and one of the officers came running up to bitch the guy out for being an ass... Except that Dick showed up and asked the officer, "Do you have a problem with my name?"

Last edited by PepperElf; 06-15-2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

New Scientist magazine sometimes runs a small column on nominative determinism (where your name determines what job you'll have). Such as Dr Smilie the dentist or Dr Bass who got his PhD studying the sounds various fish make.

ETA: Forgot about the Nis brothers, Andrew and Peter. Or A.Nis and P.Nis.
              Last edited by edible_hat; 06-15-2009, 01:10 AM.

Comment

My Mom is a teacher who has taught Dasani, Brittanica, and twins LaShonda and ShaLonda.

My friend the children's librarian has met siblings named Isis and Osiris and brothers named Tupacalypse and Makaveli. I wonder who the mom's favorite musician is?

Makes our kid's name (Conrad) seem normal.
                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                  My Mom is a teacher who has taught Dasani, Brittanica, and twins LaShonda and ShaLonda.

My friend the children's librarian has met siblings named Isis and Osiris and brothers named Tupacalypse and Makaveli. I wonder who the mom's favorite musician is?

Makes our kid's name (Conrad) seem normal.
                  See when I hear the name Conrad I think of that dickhead bald guy from CSI that used to give Grisson a hard time.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I kid you not, on one of my accounts at work, the customer's first name was Semen. He went by "Sam". Well, so would I
                    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

In HS we had some guy with a Phd. in some of the science classes as part of a grant or some deal with one of the local Universities. We knew his first and last name, nothing funny. Once his middle name was accidentally revealed. Dale. from that point on he was only know by Billy Dale.

Comment

Dick Trickle.

I mean, really. Did his parents lose a bet?

I thought that was the worst name ever until some poor SOB came in the restaurant I used to work at in his army fatigues and the name "Cum" blazoned across his chest.

Can you even imagine going through boot camp with that on your uniform?

And I kid you not, I used to know a Harry Palmer. True story. Guy had a rep for not wearing shoes in college and was better known by his nickname "Barefoot Harry." But his real name was Harry Palmer.

Again, I'm sure his parents thought they were soooo clever.

Comment

I knew two people (siblings) with the last name of Traill. They're first names were Windy and Dusty.

Comment

Not forgetting Wayne Kerr, who changed his name as soon as he hit 18; and probably never forgave his parents for landing him with such a horrible name. XD
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

semen?... i know i've mentioned it before but it was among the classic jokes in the navy.

Rank of E3 is Seaman. So everyone always had fun with last names. Like if your last name was Lipps, as a seaman i'd be "Seaman lipps" etc... so yes... i've seen Lipps, Hipps, Eaton, Samples, Putz, granted not all were E3 when i met them, but at one point in their career they were. Oh and i saw an E5 named Seaman. that was funny too.
                              Last edited by PepperElf; 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X