• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something i've considered buying

cos i'm a jerk sometimes

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/jammers/p...own-304359.php

a lovely cell phone jammer
    just the thing to activate when you're on the road and you see someone else driving like a jerk while yapping away.

30 foot radius.

not sure if it's legal tho.

Nice idea, but they are illegal in a lot of places.

I'd also be worried that if I disconnected someone while they were talking and driving, they'd then be even more distracted by trying to redial...

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't do it if they were driving, that's just as bad as the drivers themselves.

Now if I was having dinner in a restaurant and there was some jackass on his cell...
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        not sure if it's legal tho.
        Don't get caught, this can't be legal.
        Guess not.

Comment

I don't think they are legal but this would be a great thing and VERY hard to enforce in crowded areas like resturants and movie theatres.

...and the morons who love to hold their phones up in the air (so someone who couldn't get a ticket can hear it) during concerts.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            ...and the morons who love to hold their phones up in the air (so someone who couldn't get a ticket can hear it) during concerts.
            That's actually not the reason they do it. It's a replacement for the old "lighter in the air" bit, except now they use cellphone lights. The reception through a cell phone is so terrible, you'd only be able to hear noise if you tried that.

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
              That's actually not the reason they do it. It's a replacement for the old "lighter in the air" bit, except now they use cellphone lights. The reception through a cell phone is so terrible, you'd only be able to hear noise if you tried that.
              I know - but the people I've seen do it do it though the entire song - even after the back light is out and I've seen people talk on it in between songs.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Now if I was having dinner in a restaurant and there was some jackass on his cell...

That and the movies too. Luckily for me, if I had one I could hide it in my purse and no one would be the wiser.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Er, I did the cell phone thing once for a friend. Should she have bought a ticket? The concert was in Christchurch. She was in Los Angeles.

No judgments please.

Comment

Definately not legal... but I'd love to have one of these in a movie theatre.
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                      No judgments please.
                      Well, since the legality of it is suspect, I'm not sure you're allowed to make that request.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

What about the fact that you could be unknowingly cutting someone off while they were trying to contact emergency assistance, or otherwise making an emergency phone call? Especially in a crowd or on the road, you'd be cutting off more than just the intended target.
                        I HATE stupid people!

Comment

And I suspect in live theatre, one of those would cause major interference with the sound system. Possibly in movie theatres as well. It would be nice if people wouldn't be dicks and text/make calls in cinemas or theatres, but people these days aren't able to disconnect for a few hours.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Here's a page that looks interesting:
                            http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ne-jammer5.htm

Says that it's illegal in a few countries, and why, but also says France instituted a jamming policy in "Performance spaces" in Dec. 2004.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth jayel View Post
                              What about the fact that you could be unknowingly cutting someone off while they were trying to contact emergency assistance, or otherwise making an emergency phone call? Especially in a crowd or on the road, you'd be cutting off more than just the intended target.
                              ^^^What she said. Unintended consequences and all that.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X