This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth One-Fang View Post
    Change a tire? Yeah, sure (again, I actually can), that's what the AA* membership is for.
    hmm... wait half an hour (minumum) for help to arrive, or spend 10 minutes doing it myself...

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
      I can see you read the list, so you must have noticed it's not actually a "skills needed to survive" list?
      Sorry for assuming people need to know how to survive. Maybe that's a good way of weeding out all the Darwin candidates?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
        I'm 36 now, and haven't ever had to change a tire - not once. And no, I don't mean I've had someone else do it - I've simply never ever had a flat.
        i seriously could kill you... i'm 22 and I've had to replace a tire 4 times now
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Wow, I can seriously do 47 of those things... awesome. Hahaha.

And I've had to replace a flat once... I decided halfway through that I could take it to the tire shop literally half a block away and pay the same price without doing any manual labor... so I did.
          Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post

I know how to do CPR, but I don't know the correct amount of compressions and such.
            This is not intended to be a replacement for a First Aid qualification

The usual rate for CPR in an adult (an adult is any person who has reached puberty) is 30 chest compressions to 2 rescue breaths.

Exceptions-
            Drowning, where you start with 5 rescue breaths, then go into the 30:2 CPR set, a full 1minute set of CPR is administered before you go for help. IN ALL OTHER OCCASIONS the only time you stop CPR is when one of these three criteria are met

1) The casualty begins to breathe sufficiently to sustain life
            2) Expert help arrives and takes over (often the first response to an emergency will be solo crewed and will have to set up their equipment before starting CPR, if you appear competent they will let you carry on until such time as they are ready to start)
            3) You are too exhausted to carry on. Remember, you do not want to become a casualty yourself, this is because if you're the only person performing CPR you're probably the only person who is competent to perform basic First Aid.

When expert help arrives it would be useful for them to know the following
            How long CPR has been in progress for
            If an Automatic External Defibrilator (AED) has been used, when it last shocked and how often it has assessed/shocked
            What time the person collapsed (if known).
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
              Sorry for assuming people need to know how to survive.
              But it's not a survival skillset list. Driving a manual transmission? How to hold a baby? Methinks that you may have missed the point of the list if you think it's about how to survive if society goes tits up.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I always liked Robert Heinlein's version.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
                --- Robert Heinlein
                The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Added to say I could indeed do all those things. Some not as well as others (and other people will undoubtedly be better at most of them), and in most cases I would go to a professional, but if it came to it, I could manage all of them.
                  The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Huh, I'm more competent than I knew. I can already do most of that stuff.

However, I'm not very good at negotiating. That's what I get for growing up where I did, I guess.

But sewing? Oh yeah, I got that down. Buttons, zippers, hemming... with a machine or by hand... I can also create clothing from whole cloth without a pattern. Or scissors. Or needle and thread. (1 bedsheet, a door key to cut with, and a stapler. Go me!)

Comment

I like that list!

I don't flirt very well (but then, I don't need to- I'm married, and she and I flirt just fine in our own odd little ways)...
                      I suspect I don't always make the best first impression, in person. I apparently look evil/creepy/dead/like I'm planning to wear your skin... and there's nothing I can do about it.
                      My solo negotiating skills are also pretty crap, as you would expect from the whole "FUCK! KILL WITH FIRE" response that I get from folks. It's hard to get a good rapport with a salesman if they expect you to lunge across the desk and fasten your teeth to their jugular. I tend to get offers that are of the 'take it or leave it but please god just leave' variety. Or lowballed out of the market for much the same purpose.

Other'n that, I can do everything there.
                      "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I can do about 25-30. Some can't really apply to me since I haven't learned to drive yet (so of course I can't drive a standard or parallel park!) And I don't date...period, so I will never run into those situations. Besides, if you were married anyway and not cheating, you wouldn't need to know or care how to get out of a date anyway.

I can probably cook a steak, but can't cook eggs...I don't like them anyway.

Comment

hmm i think i can do about 40 of those

Comment

I can only speak english.

& I think i suck at story telling.
                            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Working...
                            X