This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't text and walk - or you'll be in deep @(&^*

Saw this on another forum and thought I'd share. Talk about having a s**tty day! Thoughts?

http://wcbstv.com/local/texting.manh...2.1081403.html

Teen Girl Falls In Open Manhole While Texting

Dave Carlin
    NEW YORK (CBS) ―

It was an accident waiting to happen -- an open sewer and a 15-year-old girl who was texting while she walked.

Alexa Longueira, a high school sophomore, was walking along Victory Boulevard near Travis Avenue on Staten Island Wednesday evening when she felt the earth move and was plunged into smelly darkness.

She said the manhole she fell in to was left open and unattended with no warning signs or orange cones. She said two workers with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection failed to secure the area as they prepared to flush the sewer.

"It was just really gross and it was shocking and scary," she said. "Because of their careless mistake I got hurt."

Longueira has deep cuts and bruises and said she now has nightmares about falling, but she also did admit she was texting at the time.

"Regardless of whether I'm texting or not if there was a cone there I'm gong to see a big orange cone," she said. "I walk that sidewalk every day, I don't expect a big hole there."

Longueira said she was helped out of the five-foot deep sewer by an apologetic DEP worker.

She went to the hospital and the city opened an investigation, issuing the following statement:

"We regret that this happened and wish the young woman a speedy recovery."

The Longueira family wants more than get well wishes. They may sue. Alexa's mother, Kim, said: "It could have been an elderly person, a mother pushing a stroller. It could have been anyone."

Alexa lost one of her sneakers in the sewer. She does not want it back.

The girl's mother said Alexa will see more doctors next week to get an MRI and check for damage to her spine.

It's funny she was dumb not to watch where she was going but she was right that there should have been a warning cone.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

While I agree that yes, there should have been a cone or other barrier, how do you not notice an open manhole/other object or lack thereof in front of you? Has she no peripheral vision?
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

And what good would a cone or barrier do? She'd just kick it into the hole and fall in anyway, or trip over the barrier and tumble down the hole head-first anyway.

What if she walked out into an intersection while texting and got hit by a car? You can't exactly put barriers up to prevent that.

I got a sinking feeling her stupidity and inobservance is going to pay off. Big time.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's my feeling she wouldn't have fallen if she had paid attention to where she was going.

Comment

What's pathetic is that she'll sue and collect millions, irrelevant that she wasn't paying attention and too busy texting.

Yeah I can picture this airhead five years later hanging out in the Hamptons and the Bellmont Stakes with Donald Trumps entourage and then laughing their asses off at her when she tells them she got her millions by suing the city over falling into a manhole while texting on her cellphone.

Comment

Quoth AV8R View Post
              "Regardless of whether I'm texting or not if there was a cone there I'm gong to see a big orange cone," she said. "I walk that sidewalk every day, I don't expect a big hole there."
              If she was that engrossed in texting on her phone then she wouldn't have noticed at all.

Comment

How pathetic. Can we get Dr. House to attend to her?

"You've caused me considerable mental distress!"
                "Considerable distress? How disappointing, I was going for egregious myself."
                Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

In a way, I have to play Devil's Advocate here.

Yes, she should have been paying more attention to where she was going. However, the DEP workers admit that the manhole was opened before the workers went to get the cones. Shouldn't they have had the cones before opening the man hole? At least they could have left one of the crew there to alert people.
                  Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Yes, there should have been cones or barriers around the manhole. That was a lapse on their part.

However, she really should've been paying attention to her surroundings. She's very lucky she didn't get hurt worse (as IPF stated, she could've walked into the street and gotten hit by a car). If she really needed to text, she should've stepped aside and stood still or sat on a bench somewhere and done it. Walking around while texting is very foolish.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What's really bothering me about this is that yes a cone or barricade should have been up, but I know (from the many places I have lived.) that all the crews I have seen have a great big ORANGE truck with a flashing yellow light spinning on top to warn both cars and pedestrians that work was being done on something in the area.

the girl admitted that she walked that street everyday shouldn't seeing the truck and lights signal, "hey, what if that manhole I always walk over is what they are working on?" Or even look up and think "hey what's going on?"

If she missed that truck then as Irv said any cone put up would've ended up in the sewer with her.
                      Last edited by Titi; 07-19-2009, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Yep her parents are suing the city. She got a cut on her back and lost her shoe.
                        Last edited by Broomjockey; 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM. Reason: Fratching comment.

Comment

Would it be wrong of me to admit I'm picturing this moron falling down into the sewer with the whistling sound-effect they used whenever Wile. E. Coyote fell off a cliff?
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Would it be wrong of me to admit I'm picturing this moron falling down into the sewer with the whistling sound-effect they used whenever Wile. E. Coyote fell off a cliff?
                            Did I hear the same thing when reading this post?
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                            X