X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's oldest man dies at 113

He served in WWI and WWII.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ead/index.html

Just imagine how much the world has changed. When he was born, the "modern" automobile was barely invented and he was old enough to remember the Wright Brother's flight (he would have been 6 or 7). He grew up in a world that grew out of the Victorian age and into not only the nuclear age, but also the internet age.

He saw the entire 20th century. WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, War on Terror, the Cold War.

He saw TV and radio both become invented and a staple in most homes in Europe and the USA. He saw the invention of the computer and the entire life of the internet.

Movies went from flashing-black and white silent films to modern day CGI packed feature films.

He saw the invention of the airplane (Wright Brothers) and also watched us go to the moon, and send probes and robots to Mars (and other planetary bodies).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Wow, this guy not only lived through the last bit of the 19th century but also lived throughout the entire 20th century and a good bit of the 21st century! Hell, he even outlived both his wife AND daughters and lived to see his grandchildren, great-grandchildren,great-great grandchildren and great-great-great grandchild! He definitely lived a full and enriching life. RIP.
    Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 07-20-2009, 04:06 AM.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

"To what do you credit your long life, Sir?"

"Mostly to the fact that I haven't died yet."
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Thanks for the link, draggar. What an amazing life he led. RIP, Mr. Allingham.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
        X