X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Postal Service LayOffs

Link 2nd link

They say it's going to maybe layoff over 40K employees. I remember them saying about two months ago that if every person in the states mailed out just three more things a month we might be safe. I know I upped how many things I send out with a stamp but yea...

First time ever lay offs...fudge.
    Last edited by Aethian; 07-27-2009, 10:40 PM.

Just hoping it doesn't affect you.

Rapscallion

Comment

I still mail out all of my bills - I don't want to do electronic. This is sad and will be very hard on those left over (unless they weed out dead weight).
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        I still mail out all of my bills - I don't want to do electronic.
        Me either! Especially since so many places still charge extra for online bill pay...ummm, no thank you.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I used to pay everything but my mortgage online. The mortgage company wants a $12.50 "convenience fee" for online payments.

I have a "bad" habit of overpaying my bills when I can so that I have a head start on my next month's charges. Suddenly everybody started accepting ONLY exact balance or less payments. No more over payments. So I have gone back to mailing in my payments, and using those gosh darn checks that everybody hates so much. That also makes balancing the checkbook a lot easier!
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My route has been axed. In two weeks I'll be unassigned again. Well unassigned if there is a position available for me. *sighs* Only those with five years + are 'technically' safe from layoff. I have four.

If there is no position available and management can proove they don't need a unassigned full time carrier, I'll either be pushed to part time or one of the 40K.

Why is it I do my job, do it well (99% of the time), and LIKE my job have to face this when people who hate their job are safe? It's not fair.

Comment

*HUGS*

I still mail most of my bills; the only entity I trust for the online bill paying and that doesn't charge a "convenience fee" for doing so (is it me or is a fee for online payments backwards?) is my credit card.
              Quoth Aethian View Post
              Why is it I do my job, do it well (99% of the time), and LIKE my job have to face this when people who hate their job are safe? It's not fair.
              BTDT. I really can't understand why the competent employees who actually like what they do always get the shaft....if anything I'd think companies would want to keep the ones who know what they're doing.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                My route has been axed. In two weeks I'll be unassigned again. Well unassigned if there is a position available for me. *sighs* Only those with five years + are 'technically' safe from layoff. I have four.

If there is no position available and management can proove they don't need a unassigned full time carrier, I'll either be pushed to part time or one of the 40K.

You make the others look bad?

Comment

Aren't they asking for voluntary redundancies? Tends to be the system over here.

That said, does the US have the redundancy system? Over here, if a job can be proven as unnecessary, the company can lay off the person with a payment of one week's wage for every year worked (if they have over two years or something).

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    Wow, that sucks. My company gave people the option to leave voluntarily before any forced layoffs (and based layoffs on performance), maybe the USPS should take a page form this book.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

The problem with voluntary layoffs is that the people you really don't want to leave do....

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        That said, does the US have the redundancy system? Over here, if a job can be proven as unnecessary, the company can lay off the person with a payment of one week's wage for every year worked
                        nope the company gives you nothing but if layed off we can collect unemployment from the government while looking for a job-which is around 60% of your income for up to a year.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          Any word?

Also - if your route is being axed, is someone else picking it up (or will those people have to get their mail another way?).
                          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

They have done changes to the changes and then submitted them for approval. My route has gone from being 7:52 (my average) to 7:04 which is too short for a full route. The majority of the changes they have made make no sense and at one point in the day four carriers will be at the same corner in the city, from the way the guys are talking it will be around the same time too.

Aux routes don't have regular carriers so if they have someone extra they will usually give them the full aux and then a piece off of another route or from another zipcode. If no one is available to do the full route it will be broken up and split into smaller pieces. Like it will be today since I have this really nasty ringing in my ear and half to hold my head at an angle to see straight.

What gets me is they tell us to not believe the numbers that they give us on the route but then tell us that they used those numbers to break up the route. Of course in another combo zipcode six carriers are being shifted because one carrier lost her route completely so everyone her level and down have to rebid on whats left. Five routes for six carriers.

Comment

Working...
                            X