X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• article about extended warranties

http://hdguru.com/extended-warrantie...ve-report/460/

and the scammy side of them

And that's why I won't bother to talk them up to anybody. I don't get the 50 cents extra for selling an extended protection plan, and can't be tracked on the number of plans I sell. So I don't bother.

Even though on my review last week I was urged to start doing so.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I bought a service contract on my big-screen, but it's from Vann's, a very reliable company.

Would never buy a BBY service plan. Than again, I can't remember when I last bought a high-ticket item from them....

Comment

Sometimes plans are worth it, my laptop is about to go for warranty repair and I would have had to buy a new dvd player with the extended plan I got on it.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I've seen these things work from both sides - from the seller and the buyer. When I was at Staples I sold Warrantech warrantiess like anything (usually in the range of $2000+ a month) and when I started to see how people were being treated by them, I stopped, too. Yes, I missed the comission (5% on non-replacement plans, $2 or $5 on replacement plans which were normally $10-$50).

When we purchased our microwave oven from Sears, we bought the extended protectoion plan Ian extra $15) and were told that if it ever breaks or isn't performing well, I could get it replaced at any Sears.

The truth: I had to take it to a service center where they'd keep it for 8-12 weeks (what??) while they try to repair it. Of course, I would have had to drive over an hour (each way) to drop it off at their repair facility. Add in thre fact that during the 8-12 weeks my extended warranty would have run out they wouldn't have covered it by then anyway (yes, they said that). Of course I declined (the microwave isn't heating food nearly as fast as it used to - used to be about 2.5-3 minutes for a frozen pizza, now 5-6 minutes).

But - with my company now we have in house repair service (but for a fee) or you have to go though the mfg. Considering how many cell phones my wife goes though, it's not a bad idea to put it on hers when I leave the company.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
          X