X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy Gets Car Towed...Pays Towing Company in Pennies

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80707337/

Guy illegally parked and got his car towed. He called them and was told it would be $88 (pretty cheap in my opinion). So, since he was pissed, he got $88 and had it exchanged for $88 in pennies. Obviously, the towing company wasn't happy.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Back in the '80s' there was a tax protestor who paid a $8k+ tax bill in pennies. The clerk couldn't even move the bag--she had to scoop out some of that change at a time.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have to side with the towing company on this one.

First - he parked someplace he shouldn't have (either illegally or someone complained). Why is he punishing the towing company for doing thier job?

Second - you don't call 911 for something like this (you can hear "911 what is your emergency" when he calls them).

Their comments also show their (lack of) intellgece - it's not socalist to not accept money nor does that have anything to do with democracy.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I can't run the video at work..... but I hope that the peson taking the money made the guy wait around while it was counted.....
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Legal tender, yes. But it's my understanding that private businesses can decide whether or not they want to accept just coins as payment. If anyone can either back me up or correct me on this, I'm welcome to it. Please bear in mind that I'm not siding on the idiot to parked his car on the wrong space or the tow company. It just irks me when people start spouting off "it's the law" without any basis to back them up. Isn't there some place on the east coast that uses script rather than legal tender for their money?

I remember getting yelled at by a Togo's (sandwich shop on the west coast) cashier for paying in quarters one day many years ago when I still lived in California. I counted it out for them, for a 3 dollar cheese sandwich. I didn't have a lot of money on me at the time because I was unemployed and it was money leftover from doing laundry. Some sweet little old lady gave the guy a piece of her mind over it because it looked like I was about to cry.

ETA: I can't believe they even got the cops to agree with them. I wonder if they thought they were on some prank show seeing as the one guy had a video camera.
          Last edited by fma_fanatic; 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
            Legal tender, yes. But it's my understanding that private businesses can decide whether or not they want to accept just coins as payment. If anyone can either back me up or correct me on this, I'm welcome to it.
            Would http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/c...l-tender.shtml qualify?

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Comment

Thanks Argus!
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

what a d**k

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                  I remember getting yelled at by a Togo's (sandwich shop on the west coast) cashier for paying in quarters one day many years ago when I still lived in California. I counted it out for them, for a 3 dollar cheese sandwich.
                  Three bucks in quarters is not even remotely a reason to get yelled at. Fifty in quarters, maybe, but not three >_>

I got a couple mins into the video and the only things I could think of were...

- The towing company does not have to accept the coins as payment (thanks for the link, Argus!)

- It must have been hell for the poor bank teller, even if it was all in rolls...

- The guy got towed because he did something illegal. I can understand being pissed, but people should be pissed at themselves, not the people enforcing the laws...
                  Last edited by EricKei; 08-10-2009, 03:35 PM. Reason: watched
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X