This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grad sues college because she hasn't found work

Woman can't find a job after graduation... sues the college claiming they didn't do enough to find her a job.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new...ate/index.html
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

2.7? Maybe thats why her job searching had bourne no fruit. And why hasn't she gone for something less while she continues to seach?

Comment

$70,000?? Sheesh.

Hm..2.7...that's, what, a C+ average? Certainly not stunning, especially in this tight market. And a bachelor's in business administration? Well, she's probably competing with a lot of MBA's for the same positions. Higher education level almost always wins out. Fact is, for business types looking for a good career, you really need a MBA and a lot of internship (i.e. unpaid) experience. That's what the major corporations are looking for. *

* Spent a year as a Graduate Research Assistant for a prestigious Business school at my old university and dealt with a lot of faculty and students, and helped with career fairs.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        Hm..2.7...that's, what, a C+ average?
        B at my school, I believe. But it doesn't have a curve.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

2.7 is a B-.

She's complaining about not finding a job after 3 months in this economy? When I graduated from college in 1992, it took me 2 years to find something remotely related to my field. In the meantime, I worked at a supermarket which paid decent. While I used my University's placement office for some resources, I looked other places too.....

Comment

Pretty stupid legal claim if you ask me. The economy is down the crapper so she shouldn't expect to have tons of offers at her feet. Maybe she should try looking..uh say..HERSELF!!!
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              Pretty stupid legal claim if you ask me. The economy is down the crapper so she shouldn't expect to have tons of offers at her feet. Maybe she should try looking..uh say..HERSELF!!!
              But . . . But . . . what did she borrow all that money for over the last 4 years???

In all seriousness, there's a ton of college grads out there with degrees that can't find jobs in their major. You don't hear the majority of them whining about it, do you?

That's because they're busy trying to find A JOB or working at A JOB. Maybe it's not the job they want right now, but at least they're working and trying to make a living. For them, it's better than starving right now . . .

I think this case is a good example of the Spheschul Snowflake Syndrome.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Comment

3 months in this sort of economy is nothing. I mean, they were estatic that they "only" lost 250,000 jobs last month....

Comment

By suing the college, she just shot herself in the foot. Lawsuits are a matter of public record, and this one has received a lot of media play, so anyone Googling her name (as a lot of companies do to find out more about their "short-listed" applicants) would find out about this.

Seriously - would any potential employer want to take the risk of hiring someone who sues when she doesn't get her way? In this economy, a 3 month search for someone with a 2.7 GPA is nothing, and naturally the college placement department would work harder for people with a 4.0 - when they are actively involved in trying to place someone, they are putting their reputation on the line, so naturally they'd work harder trying to move their higher-quality product.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I think her parents should have sued the condom company years ago...
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have only seen one case where graduating students would be in the right to sue the school.

My first college I went was a small private technical school. It only had two courses one was about networking and the other was electronics. I was in electronics so I didn't go through this but my friends did and I did see some of it firsthand.

There was one teacher that all of the networking students had multiple times and he was basically the worst teacher I've ever seen. He would literally give out random marks. My two friends took a test each gave the same answers, one got 25% the other got 50%. It wasn't about penmanship or wording or anything they had the exact same answers. The reason I know this is because they both were so fed up with the teacher and his bullshit that they just put their names on the paper and handed in a blank test. That's right they didn't fill out a single answer and neither of them got zero and they got different grades.

This guy basically dicked over a large number of students and cost some of them their diplomas and probably got people a few diplomas that didn't deserve them. There was also talk that he would give certain genders and ethnicities different grades but I never saw any proof. I know they did report him but the school never did anything.

Basically the entire graduating class could have sued the school over this but they decided not to (sort of a it's over let's just move on). The teacher doesn't work there anymore as there was a restructuring of the staff later and over half of the staff didn't work there anymore.
                        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Anriana
                          She should sue her English teacher.
                          Quoth blas87 View Post
                          I think her parents should have sued the condom company years ago...

Funniest things I've read all day!
                          "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                          --StanFlouride

Comment

**has visions of Princess Gimme-A-Job-NOW finally landing a job and suing her employer for actually expecting her to do some work on her own initiative**
                            I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

I might be more willing to side with her except she mispelled several words in the lawsuit she filed. The school, however, looks like one of those crappy schools that's always advertising on afternoon tv claiming you'll get a job now if you go there. Of course all you get from the school is a piece of paper worth nothing and a bunch of student loans to pay back.

Comment

Working...
                              X