Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fly Houston - Minneapolis in only 12 hours!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly Houston - Minneapolis in only 12 hours!

Continental ExpressJet passengers sit on plane in Rochester, MN for 6 hours before being allowed off; meanwhile another diverted flight gets a bus to Minneapolis. They offered to take the ExpressJet passengers but the airline declined.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32361238/ns/travel-news/
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Seriously, after a couple of hours, I would have demanded to be let off, SCish or no. And if refused, called the police. Crazy!

Comment

I dont know what id do in that situation.....I couldnt be on a stationary plane for even 1 hour, much less 6. I guess I could call the cops. Or go ape shit psycho...take one for the team, get arrested so at least it gets the doors open and everyone else can get off...while I get a ride downtown. lol.

Comment

Yet another reason why I won't fly.

Comment

I would have said after an hour "I want off."

If the response was "We can't let you off" I would have asked "Let me get this straight - you're detaining us against our will?"

"No, sir.."

"Then let. me. off."

"You would miss the flight."

I don't care. Let me OFF.

"Sir, keep your voice down please. We can't do that..."

"So, even though you say you're not detaining us, you in fact *are* if you will not let us off. O-kay...<gets cell phone> I would suggest you call and wake a supervisor, because if I or anyone on board has to call the police and report an illegal detention, I can virtually guarantee that both you and your flight crew will at the very least be looking for a new job when all this is over, in addition to possible criminal charges."
          Testing
          "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

...Except that the crew on the plane were not the ones in charge... (emphasis mine)

In Minneapolis, Continental's dispatchers decided to wait out the storms rather than cancel the flight and bus passengers the remaining 85 miles.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When Northwest Airlines went on strike, we ended up stuck and not able to connect to the gate at the Murderapolis airport because picketers were standing there and would NOT move.

I was about ready to scream "Run them the fuck over!" because our flight from Seattle was delayed SEVERAL hours because of the strike, the flight was long and horrid, we were stuck in the air waiting to land half again as long as the previous time we'd flown....and then on top of it all....picketers picked the best place to refuse to move.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                When Northwest Airlines went on strike, we ended up stuck and not able to connect to the gate at the Murderapolis airport because picketers were standing there and would NOT move.

I was about ready to scream "Run them the fuck over!" because our flight from Seattle was delayed SEVERAL hours because of the strike, the flight was long and horrid, we were stuck in the air waiting to land half again as long as the previous time we'd flown....and then on top of it all....picketers picked the best place to refuse to move.
                Strike or not, screwing with airplanes so they can't let passengers off, keeping them in the air circling, etc. seems like it should be illegal. Too many chances for a accident or a passenger who may hat flying and needs to get off ASAP. If you need to picket, do it in front of the airport.

Comment

I would definately have called the corporate office and then the police. My wife is diabetic and if she goes without food for too long she becomes an unbearable harpy. For that reason alone, I would have called the police on the flight crew if corporate did not order the plane to the gates.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Strike or not, screwing with airplanes so they can't let passengers off, keeping them in the air circling, etc. seems like it should be illegal.
                    Yeah, if anything, you want more people to support your cause. Forcing them to sit on the tarmac and be held prisoner on the plane is NOT gonna garner support or sympathy for your strike and your cause.

Comment

Don't airplanes normally carry "just enough fuel to get where they're going" plus say half an hour more (both to save $ and to make the plane lighter overall, thus requiring less fuel in total)? If so, picketers preventing a landing could very well have endangered peoples' *lives*

I can certainly understand people being pissed off enough to picket, but at least let them land >_>
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X