X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to beat camera-photo speeding tickets

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090912/...masked_speeder

---Betcha never thought of that now did you???

The mask is good, but they can still take pics of the plates and from there on ID the owner(s) of the car, especially if your area tickets the owner(s) of the car versus the drivers of the car for the offense.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I remember reading a story lke this (I looked for it but I can't find it), where the driver had a British car with the steering wheel on the RIGHT, and a giant doll that looked like Animal from the Muppets sitting in the LEFT side with a fake steering wheel. The driver wuold just skootch down as he drove...
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        The mask is good, but they can still take pics of the plates and from there on ID the owner(s) of the car, especially if your area tickets the owner(s) of the car versus the drivers of the car for the offense.
        Most places with photo-radar require that the state/county/city prove who is driving the vehicle. If they cannot, the tickets are invalid.

I was caught by one of these while driving my brother-in-law's car and he got the ticket. I paid it rather than make him go down and fight it, but if he had, it would have been dropped.

Thing about this guy is, all they have to do is pull him over once with the mask on, and he's done for. Apparently they haven't done that, preferring to get evidence against him doing so on multiple occasions, while he racks up more fines, and make him pay them all.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          Most places with photo-radar require that the state/county/city prove who is driving the vehicle. If they cannot, the tickets are invalid.
          If the vehicle is registered in your name then YOU are responsible for any fines unless you tell them who was driving it or it was reported as stolen.

The county can fight back but probably isn't worth it.

I do agree, though, all they need to do is stop him once with the mask in his carand hes done for.

Also - couldn't wearing a mask while driving be considered dangerous driving? The mask severely limits your vision making you a very unsafe driver.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I think that guy is funny. Hopefully he makes a good point about the downfalls of speeding cameras so that other states do not follow AZ's example, or at least fix these issues before doing so. It would be no good if they were to install the speeding cameras around where I live. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who actually drives 65, for one thing Barring that, though, I would think that if someone is driving unsafely, there needs to be a patrol unit there to stop them. Sending them a ticket a month later isn't really going to help the situation.

Also, what's with their "surveillance photos of VonTesmar putting on masks before driving"??? That's a little too Orwellian for my tastes.
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

They're installing them here in Broward county at traffic lights and I fully support them. I am tired of having to hit the brakes when I start to go (after my light turns green) just because some decides that they don't need to follow traffic laws.

Also- the mask won't protect them when they cause an accident.
              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                If the vehicle is registered in your name then YOU are responsible for any fines unless you tell them who was driving it or it was reported as stolen.

The county can fight back but probably isn't worth it.

I do agree, though, all they need to do is stop him once with the mask in his carand hes done for.

Also - couldn't wearing a mask while driving be considered dangerous driving? The mask severely limits your vision making you a very unsafe driver.
                Actually, I don't think that's the case. I know it's not in Colorado. All you have to do is prove YOU were not driving by showing up in court and comparing the pictures and you're good.

There are other things you could be responsible for, but not another driver.

Yea, I would agree that driving with a mask on should be sufficient reason to pull someone over for unsafe driving.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I just don't understand why it's so hard to just follow the law and drive safely? The guy thinks he's being cute and funny...I think he's just being an ass. The cops aren't pulling him over because they want to make a ton of money off of him.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                    I just don't understand why it's so hard to just follow the law and drive safely? The guy thinks he's being cute and funny...I think he's just being an ass. The cops aren't pulling him over because they want to make a ton of money off of him.
                    Must.... not..... go.....into..... rant........ mode...

I ask the same question every day when I have to hit by breaks because some decides that they're too important to have to wait for a red light.

My local newspaper had an online article about the light cameras in my county. So many people were against it. "I was caught because I made a right on red and I was only doing 10 MpH", "It turned red just as I was getting to the light", yep. Each person who complained like that admitted to NOT STOPPING AT A RED LIGHT. That's what they're there for - to tell you to STOP.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

By trying to prove a point based on his beliefs, he is a danger IMHO. If he is speeding with the mask to trigger the camera, which it appears to be the case his si putting other peoples live at risk for his stunt.

Pull the idiot over and make him pay for the 50 or so tickets and hopefully loss of or reallllly expensive insurance and suspend his DL.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
                        Yup! Uk news story here, German news blurb here, and my hubby saved a copy of the actual speed camera photo here!
                        Thank you!

Here's the photo as a thumbnail, folks... Imagine seeing that on the highway?
                        Attached Files
                        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                          I don't know if laws vary state to state or depending on circumstances, but this was not the case when I got pulled over several years ago...

I didn't have my own car but my parents (whom I was living with) had 2, so they let me drive my mom's car. I got pulled over due to expired license plates. I got the ticket, I got the fine, I got the mark on my driver's record, even though my name was nowhere on the vehicle and I didn't even know the plates were expired. Stupid of me not to check, I guess, but I never even thought about it. I was PISSED at my mom.

Comment

Working...
                          X