Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radar-equipped cars -- the end of tailgating??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar-equipped cars -- the end of tailgating??

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastr...NLEDP09152009A

Wouldn't this be nice if (a) it works, (b) everybody uses it properly (likely by not having a choice), and (c) it gets cheap enough (years from now) that every car on the market would have it...? Just think...no more tailgaters...*bliss*
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

I can't get that page to function properly. What's it do?

Comment

A short summary of the link.

It is showcasing some new technology Ford is planning to use in their vehicles. It will be optional at first and then be a standard for some of these.

1: Forward and Rear radar. The forward radar can detect objects at 1,500 feet away and will use audible beeps to alert the driver of their proximity to an object to avoid potential collisions. The rear radar detects up to 150 feet away and will have a light on either side view mirror that will light up if an object is potentially in the mirror's blind spot. - Both radars use a warning system when an object is within so many feet (325 in front, 100 in the back) yeah that's a bit of a long way. An audible tone, an LED light that illuminates the windshield a little and a light on the rear and side view mirrors will warn of potential dangers.

2: Rear view camera system, this is nothing new and has been shown off before. Basically its a camera mounted on the rear of the vehicle with a screen in the dash so that the driver can more easily see what is behind them.

3: Keys with parental control features that will allow parents to limit the speed of the vehicle, the volume of the radio and when the vehicle will put up a fuel warning.

4: Voice activated GPS. Basically to allow for hands free GPS programming so you don't have to have your hands off the wheel to look something up if you're on the go. This will also include the ability to voice dial phone calls apparently, not much detail on this bit yet.

5: Blue tooth to sync up any music playing device with the radio.

6: Adaptive cruise control. Using the radar you can set your cruise speed and if a slower vehicle is in front of you the car will automatically adjust the speed to avoid a collision and maintains a safe following distance. Once that vehicle moves your car will resume the set cruise speed.

7: Business vehicles with built in computers. Essentially they will have every functionality of a personal computer connected to the internet and some other nifty doohickeys that help out businesses. These are actually quite numerous so if this on interests you go to the site

Comment

Bleh, I still consider power windows and air conditioners to be luxuries.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Power windows are not luxuries. They are kind of dangerous and are the first things to malfunction when it rains.

I hate them. Give me a crank window any day.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
            1: Forward and Rear radar. The forward radar can detect objects at 1,500 feet away and will use audible beeps to alert the driver of their proximity to an object to avoid potential collisions. The rear radar detects up to 150 feet away and will have a light on either side view mirror that will light up if an object is potentially in the mirror's blind spot. - Both radars use a warning system when an object is within so many feet (325 in front, 100 in the back) yeah that's a bit of a long way. An audible tone, an LED light that illuminates the windshield a little and a light on the rear and side view mirrors will warn of potential dangers.
            Just to throw in a quick bit of math: 325 feet sounds like a long way, but at highway speeds, it's almost too short.

Here, look for yourself: On an interstate, doing 65 miles per hour, you are traveling at a speed of (5280 feet/mile * 65 miles/hour) = 343,200 feet ever hour. There are 3600 seconds in an hour (60 minutes/hour * 60 seconds/minute), so doing the division comes down to 95 feet, 4 inches/second.

So, that 325 feet you mentioned as being long? On the highway, you will clear that distance in 3.4 seconds. Think about that for a minute: On the highway, you cover more than an entire football field in 3.4 seconds.

Just had to throw that in there as food for thought.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
              Just to throw in a quick bit of math: 325 feet sounds like a long way, but at highway speeds, it's almost too short.
              Makes sense to me. I got the impression that Ford was setting those numbers as an "absolutely minimal do-not-get-any-closer-than-this-or-you-will-die" measurement. IRL, people SHOULD be farther away than that.

Good luck.

Woulda, coulda shoulda....
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X