Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're going to fire you and make you train your replacement wihout you knowing

http://consumerist.com/5361791/hyatt...e-housekeeping

Fuck Hyatt. I've never stayed with them before and I never will now.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I saw that on boston.com this morning. I thought housekeepers were unionized, or is that incorrect?

Un-effing-believable. I plan to tell everyone I know to avoid them.

A similar thing happened to me at the game store...I thought I was training someone to help out during the holiday rush when I was on vacation. Nope. The actual axe fell a few months later for an imaginary reason, but essentially that's what happened.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yeah but....

15 dollars an hour just to CLEAN ROOMS??????

That just doesn't sound economically feasible unless you wanna really pay out of your ass for a hotel room.

That kinda goes back to people saying we should have our computers built here in the USA. If you wanna pay computer workers a living wage with benefits and retirement, would you be willing to pay $5,000 for a new computer instead of $500???

It's basic economics.

Comment

I was under the impression that $15/hour was after 20 years of employment (assuming they all start at $8/hour, that's an average $0.35 raise per year).

$8 isn't really a realistic living wage around here, and from what I've heard the contractor they've gone with is a bit shady.

Check out the comments on boston.com...$8/hour with no benefits seems like it would invite more theft.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yeah but what's sad today is that with the unemployment rate still climbing to record heights, you'll find a massive glut of people that will be more than happy to clean rooms for 8 bucks an hour with no benefits. Hell I work as a substitute teacher now for a lousy 70 bucks a day and it's hard as hell to find work to fill every school day for me.

Comment

They were not in a union.

Just because they were paid $15/hr doesn't mean they deserved to be fired from their jobs and with the added insult of the company using them to train their replacements unknowingly. After 20 years, 15/hr seems very reasonable to me.

I know there are people that have worked with my company for that long and they barely make over $11/hr.

Comment

Wow, that's just low.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That is the lowest of the low.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I can fully relate. When I was let go from IBM (I was a contractor, so I wasn't "laid off" as such, but just told they didn't need me any more), they immediately started looking to replace me for $2.00/hr less than I was making, and that was after 3 consecutive yearly pay cuts of 5% each...

Yea, it's pure economics, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                    Yeah but....

That just doesn't sound economically feasible unless you wanna really pay out of your ass for a hotel room.
                    This IS the Hyatt we're talking about... ^_^;>

From the article, Hyatt rep's words:
                    Hyatt is committed to treating our employees with honesty and respect.
                    Uhm...no. You failed to do either one, here, Pucky.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                      From some of the stories I've read on this site, you couldn't pay me enough to be a hotel housekeeper. They more then earned that money.

Hell, I don't like to clean my own room, and I'm the only person who's in it.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                      X