X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Hood

If you haven't heard

There was a shooting at Ft. Hood today.

I used to live there, and I still have friends there, but thankfully no one who works on base and no soldier friends.

I freaked out when my boss first said something about this, because I was worried the shooting was actually in Killeen not on the base. Now I'm still off kilter and thinking about skipping class tonight. I think it's just because it's bringing back lots of bad Virginia Tech memories. My little sister went to school there during that shooting and even though she was ok, it really, really shook me up.

I was surprised to hear that it was soldiers that did it. I've heard that the military has started pretty much accepting anyone (even some with FELONIES!!!) since they were getting stretched thin. Maybe this was a mistake.

Comment

I'd suggest leaving speculation for a while, what with there being conflicting reports on what is undoubtedly a tragedy. I'd also leave the fratching comments over on that board, please. The second isn't a suggestion.

Rapscallion

Comment

Pretty horrible stuff. Fort Hood is one of the bases I deal with a lot at work.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
          I was surprised to hear that it was soldiers that did it. I've heard that the military has started pretty much accepting anyone (even some with FELONIES!!!) since they were getting stretched thin. Maybe this was a mistake.

I wonder about that too.

Comment

FYI, Lackland AFB [San Antonio, TX] is at FPCON Delta

FPCON DELTA describes a situation when a terrorist attack is taking place or has just occurred. FPCON DELTA usually occurs only in the areas that are most vulnerable to or have been attacked

Comment

My family is hunkering down and waiting for news. There are 1 or 2 members who are stationed out there, but obviously can't raise them on their cell phones.

my grandma is also very very upset, my grandfather was active military almost all his life, and she's saddened by the fact that this institution my grandfather served and honored has turned out a few bad eggs like this.

I'm unbearably saddened because these people are out risking their lives, some being sent overseas or returning from the theatre, and are being attacked on their home turf, by people they relied on to watch their backs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 2009 sucks. A lot.

Comment

I kinda freaked for a bit. I had to check and make sure.
                I thought my brother was still there but he is in Ft Bliss now.
                He hasn't been to Ft Hood in a while.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                  FYI, Lackland AFB [San Antonio, TX] is at FPCON Delta

FPCON DELTA describes a situation when a terrorist attack is taking place or has just occurred. FPCON DELTA usually occurs only in the areas that are most vulnerable to or have been attacked
                  Michael was saying something about being on FPCON DELTA. I wasn't exactly sure what that was. Iwas having a hard time hearing him. There was a lot of noise in the background. Hobbs, I'm glad you explained what that was.

I didn't hear about the shootings until almost 5:00. My husband told me about it. Thankfully I already knew Michael was at Lackland. There were people calling and texting trying to find out where he was for sure. There was one that left several messages on his phone. A friend of mine called the house wanting to know where he was at.

I can't thank God enough that my son is okay. However, I am deeply shocked and saddened about this horrible, senseless shooting.
                  Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Thanks for holding back, folks. Looks like there's more solid news coming out. BBC reports it as being a disaffected Major who had previously been very unhappy about being sent to Afghanistan.

Rapscallion

Comment

It could have been worse: apparently, there was a graduation nearby with 600 people in an auditorium.

But I wanted to call attention to this officer who faced him head on, shot four times on target, helped another wounded victim by carrying him (after using her blouse as a tourniquet) and only then realizing she had been shot herself.
                      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

One of the dead lived about 20 minutes down the road from me.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I don't know anybody in Ft.Hood, but hearing about that and the incident in Orlando is just incredibly scary to be honest.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Watching the memorial service today...very sad...I almost wish CNN wouldn't show all those poor families crying in front of the portraits of their loved ones. I asked my parents to change the channel.

Comment

Working...
                            X