Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schools have banned some pretty weird stuff.

Don't even ask the story behind it (I've told it many a time before and it's very political) but my second high school banned blaze orange clothing and the Confederate Flag.

AFAIK, 6 years later, they are still banned.

And before anyone asks, the Confederate Flag in Wisconsin schools was a gang symbol, and it had nothing really to do with the flag itself and what it stands for.

But this totally tops them all. I thought things were bassackwards around here!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It said they were saying it a lot in the hall I wonder if they were saying it instead of excuse me when trying to get by people or something. reminds me when my school banned snowforts.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I'll support the school all the way. I knew morons who did this back in high school. The teacher would be teaching and then all of a sudden a group of them would just start shouting, "MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP" and despite getting threatened with detention, would just keep going on and on for minutes. When you only get 40+ minutes to teach a day, losing 5-10 of them to dumbasses going "MEEP" is frustrating.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

http://theodoramichaels.com/articles/meep.php

Comment

Hm, I'm pretty sure that falls under harassment. But I wouldn't expect this guy to understand that.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
              I like how they made Facebook sound like a cabal.
              Yes, as though pre-Internet students never got together to plan things that were disruptive. I suspect the meep-banner is having difficulties adding friends.

Also enjoyed the "particular part of the building" distinction. You know, where THOSE students hang out....

Quoth morgana View Post
              Anybody else find it hilarious that the article about this witchhunt is posted in the Salem News?
              Didja catch the newspaper site's tab icon?
              Last edited by sms001; 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

i'm actually mixed on this.

i see both sides...

on the student's side it's "it's just a silly word" etc

on the teacher's side it's an attempt by the students to disrupt the school while saying, "hah hah you can't do anything to stop me!"

Comment

http://salemnews.com/punews/local_story_329224559.html

Comment

That was awesome.

Nothing like stickin' it back and breakin' it off!

A certain "people" know what I mean.

Comment

I guess the tragedy is that even if the principal's right, he's not gonna win this one, and it's his own damn fault.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen these stories pop up on the Internet - a principal does something a little over the top in response to some perceived threat to authority, and when the matter hits the evening news, begins to realize that "because I say so, that's why" doesn't really fly with the public at large. In response, the administration builds a bunker mentality as the internet bursts into flames and the national press starts calling for their own daily dose of "because I say so, that's why," followed swiftly by "no further comment."

The epidemic, nay, plague of zero-tolerance policies in the '00's collided with the most internet savvy generation in history to make a lot of school administrators look like complete jackasses in front of the whole country. I keep hoping that one of these days some school administrator is going to realize that his behavior could land him on the front page of CNN.com and mete out his sanctions accordingly. No one would have any sympathy for the students if they were actually doing something wrong.

Love, Who?

Comment

In response, the administration builds a bunker mentality as the internet bursts into flames and the national press starts calling for their own daily dose of "because I say so, that's why," followed swiftly by "no further comment."
                        Yeah and then they end up shooting themselves in the foot because then they have to be reminded that they work for and serve the people, not the other way around. If the board backs them up and pisses off too many people those same board members will find themselves out of a job on the next election day.

Comment

Working...
                        X