This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare for "Merry Christmas!"

Quite interesting - what's your take on it? Or is a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5526105807B262
    The report button - not just for decoration

My take on it is if someone is so petty, bored and uptight that they get offended at being wished well by someone, they DESERVE to be offended. They need to get lives and quit worrying that someone might (gasp) believe differently than they, and might even go so far as to wish happiness and peace on them in the manner of their own custom.

Comment

My own faith observes Christmas, but I have zero problem with being wished a happy Hannukah|Ramadan|Solstice|Yule|Kwanzaa|Chinese New Year|whatever that person observes. I'll take well wishes in any form they're offered that is meaningful to that person, and I've never understood how "Merry Christmas" equates to forcing Christianity on a person, since I grew up in a very non-religious household that did observe Christmas as a secular/family holiday.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

in my personal experience, i haven't had anyone be offended by me wishing them a Happy Christmas. Although, i can see the "Happy Holidays" phrase insinuating itself slowly but surely....*sigh*
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
          My own faith observes Christmas, but I have zero problem with being wished a happy Hannukah|Ramadan|Solstice|Yule|Kwanzaa|Chinese New Year|whatever that person observes. I'll take well wishes in any form they're offered that is meaningful to that person, and I've never understood how "Merry Christmas" equates to forcing Christianity on a person, since I grew up in a very non-religious household that did observe Christmas as a secular/family holiday.
          My sentiments (and experience) exactly! Being in an area that is home to many retirement communties, there are thousands of Jewish folks here. I have been wished Happy Chanukah so many times I lost count. I don't get upset. I don't get angry. I get warm and fuzzy and say "Merry Christmas!" right back with a large, genuine smile. I am not Jewish, and I won't convert to Judiasm, but I dont' get angry.

I have been wished "Happy Kwanzaa!" a few times. I'm not black. Should I get angry? Nope. They were all genuine well-wishing thoughts. No need to get offended.

Open your minds, people! There are other points of view, other religions in this world other than yours.
          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
            Open your minds, people! There are other points of view, other religions in this world other than yours.
            And while we're on the subject, "freedom of religion" does NOT mean you have a right to silence others' expressions of their own faith lest you be offended by someone holding views differing from your own.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

You know, I created a whole debate board for things like this...

Rapscallion

Comment

And it looks like an awesome board, too.

The only reason I haven't joined is because I spend too much time on this one (and the various SCA ones that I am on) as it is.

Comment

I don't care what they say, just as long as I can survive the holiday crowds.
                  Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Working...
                  X