Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World of Warcraft helps capture criminal!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Warcraft helps capture criminal!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...-crook/1383804

WoW (pun intended)

woot

i guess you can say the police pwned him

Comment

One Google Earth search later, and Canadian authorities had apprehended Hightower in Ottowa, Ontario.
      Wouldn't it behoove a newspaper to spell the name of the freaking capital city of CANADA properly? That's like saying Woshington!

Ugh.

Comment

This news story has caused quite a stir on the message boards at Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft website.

Many WoW players, including myself, have applauded Blizzard's actions in helping the police to apprehend a drug dealer.

However . . . There are also a fair number of WoW players who have expressed disappointment, concern, or anger over Blizzard's willingness to give out the personal information of their players.

Some of them have gone on wild rants about how it violates the privacy of their players, and how we will soon see Blizzard giving out information to debt collectors, telemarketers, and anybody else who asks for them.

All of which completely ignores the facts that :

(1) Blizzard was sent a subpoena for the information,

(2) Blizzard's Terms of Service, which all World of Warcraft players have to agree to in order to play the game, specifically state that Blizzard has the right to disclose players' personal information with or without notice to the players, under circumstances including a request from law-enforcement officials,

(3) There is a huge difference between giving information on a suspected drug dealer to the police and giving out information on a player to a debt collection company, a telemarketer, or just somebody who randomly calls up Blizzard on the phone and asks for such information.

And it doesn't stop there.

One person posted a thread on the WoW message forums condemning Blizzard for not standing up for their customers.

Seriously.

This guy claimed that since this Alfred Hightower was a "paying customer," Blizzard should have protected him from the police, or at the very least, they shouldn't have helped the police capture him.

Absolutely unreal. Apparently, if one of your customers commits a crime, the fact that he's your customer means you now have an obligation to ignore subpoenas and even break the law yourself to protect him from being captured by the authorities.

One person who responded to that thread said, "So if I was running a lemonade stand and a guy bought some, and then turned around and slit the throat of the next guy in line, I should do nothing? I should try to protect him from the police, because he's a customer?"

(Another person responded to that by saying, jokingly, "Well, if I was running a lemonade stand and a guy did that, I'd probably say to him, 'Want some more lemonade? Free, all you want!'")

<Sigh> Every time you think that a customer's entitlement complex can't possibly get any worse . . .
        “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
        “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
        “I don’t know.”
        “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

So, now the real question is...

What will be the theme song of the new series coming this fall, "CSI: Azeroth"?

1) Magic Bus

2) I Can See For Miles

3) Pinball Wizard
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            ...What will be the theme song of the new series coming this fall, "CSI: Azeroth"?...
            Who will be the star?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

LOL I don't watch CSI, but I remember an episode of numb3rs dealing with people getting killed in some online game.

Comment

Online gaming has featured prominently in a number of forensic-esque TV shows. An early episode of NCIS was about an MMORPG, Second Life was used in an episode of CSI: NY, and I seem to remember a similar type game used in CSI: Miami.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                X