This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC on CBC

I usually like the CBC, I find them to be a good source of news. But this editorial is really pissing me off as a former retail worker.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_binks/20061213.html

It seems to me like the writer has never worked in retail a day in her life and has some serious entitlement issues. She is even complaining about the security measures for banks!

I wrote a reply... lets see if they publish it...
    Last edited by NightAngel; 12-18-2006, 06:24 AM. Reason: No permission needed for mods to move threads- thanks!
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

OOOooo....2 nice responses so far

I listen to CBC all the time out here in Vic...I missed this one though....dang...*sulks*
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Stupid . Must be nice to be paid from taxpayers for writing an article demeaning them.

Maybe she should do all her shopping online so she doesn't have to deal with the "stupid, lazy staff" who are told that if they don't bend to her every whim, they get fired.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I laughed when she was talking about how she doesn't like when the young people these days say: "No problem," and that they should say "You're welcome' or "It's my pleasure." I usually say the former with older people, but it is never "my pleasure" to deal with the likes of this "lady," so it's no wonder she hasn't heard people say it.

And her comment about cashiers "tickling each other?" Um, ooookay, where does she shop anyway.....
        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
          Not sure if this is the right forum for this... mods feel free to move it to whatever fits it best...
          We usually do.
          ..and it's been done.
          Moved to Check This Out, since it contains a link to another site, rather than to PFB.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
            And her comment about cashiers "tickling each other?" Um, ooookay, where does she shop anyway.....
            Why, she must shop in an 80's horror movie store, where all the horny teens are flirting and not paying attention to the monster.
            Three guesses on who the monster is.
            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I do have to agree with her on stores not hiring enough help. Perhaps her spoiled son would like to apply?
              As for the wish that they'd keep a list of people waiting to buy a product and call them when it's in: For starters, if she was just going in to get the system now, she wouldn't called until well after the new year. The people that waited outside overnight on release day would just be getting their systems now. Time to tell Sonny-Boy that we don't always get what we want.

And the $350 pre-ripped jeans? She doesn't HAVE to buy those. Get the $20 jeans like I do. Yeesh.

Comment

"Twenty years ago, I stood at the perfume counter of a major department store for 20 minutes. The man beside me finally stole what he wanted to buy. Twenty years later that store still doesn't get it — it still has no staff."

This just boggles the mind . . .

A guy steals something from a department store, and instead of holding the thief accountable for his own actions, this woman blames the store?!

Supposedly because if the store had enough staff working, then the guy would have bought what he wanted instead of stealing it.

Wow. I understand how frustrating it can be to have to wait a long time to get help in a retail store, but I never realized that that made it okay to steal what you want.
                “Excuse me. Is this bracelet real jade?”
                “Ma’am, this is a thrift shop. The tag on the bracelet says $1.50. It comes with a matching mood ring. What do you think?”
                “I don’t know.”
                “Yes, it’s real.”

Comment

I agree that most stores chronically unstaff their stores but

this is not 1950!!!!!! you can not have rock bottom prices and masses of sales staff roaming the floor, family owned businesses with employees who have been there for 18 years and know the product inside out, upside down and backwards.

you want cheap stuff, you get cheap service

you want to pay premium prices, you will get premium service, because you are allowing the employeer to PAY those people to be there.....

you cant have it both ways!!! ARGH that is my number 1 frustration with service industries. payroll is the biggest flexible area of a stores "costs" and the bean counters cut it again and again and again

and it works...you know why....because people would rather save two bucks and piss and moan about how the 3 skeleton staff who are running their overworked underpaid butts off cant drop at their feet and kiss their boots this second!

champagne service does not come at vinegar prices!

*I am not saying that if you work in a cheaper store that you work any less harder than the more expensive stores, if anything you work even more. Im simply stating that you cant physically get to all of the customers, the companies dont seem to realise the customer to staff ratio can only be stretched so thin. when you are expected to do the work of 3 people somethings going to give.
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Her comment that Best Buy should take their names and numbers cracked me up.
                    What a sense of entitlement. It's not Best Buy's fault that they only got 25 Wii's.

I invite her to work my job (retail store manager, popular store this time of year) for a day, damn even an hour this week. It's gonna be the week from hell.
                    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Working...
                    X