X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Historical Myths (possibly NSFW)

http://www.cracked.com/article_18487...-are-true.html

These ones are all from movies. I had to laugh at #4. And #1 is just....disturbing.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Clearly they didn't do the research on #1. Iron Maidens did exist, and were used, but they were called something else at the time(the name eludes me) and not as intricately designed and had adjustable spike to achieve certain results. (the ones used could actually be mistaken for an odd shaped barrel at the time.

The others, might not have any record of being used, but a) the concept of them possibly being used on you at the time was a frightening concept (though in the case of the pear, until it was actually used, as it had a tendency to break) and b) though there were no obtainable records that says they were used, it doesn't mean that they weren't used. (torture devices aren't exactly known for being a good idea of keeping track records for)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

From the first section:
      If you've seen Young Guns on cable

I saw Young Guns in the theater...

I saw a thing on the History Channel (or Discovery or wherever) where they used a dummy to test the effects of various medieval torture devices, to see if they actually worked the way it is claimed. The pear thing broke well before it had a chance to do any significant damage.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It's nice to say something didn't happen without having to produce evidence of your research, isn't it? Any historian would give them a 'B' for effort and an 'F' for just being a horrendous read.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Clearly they didn't do the research on #1. Iron Maidens did exist, and were used, but they were called something else at the time(the name eludes me) and not as intricately designed and had adjustable spike to achieve certain results. (the ones used could actually be mistaken for an odd shaped barrel at the time.

The others, might not have any record of being used, but a) the concept of them possibly being used on you at the time was a frightening concept (though in the case of the pear, until it was actually used, as it had a tendency to break) and b) though there were no obtainable records that says they were used, it doesn't mean that they weren't used. (torture devices aren't exactly known for being a good idea of keeping track records for)
          I saw plenty of these devices at this museum:

http://www.kriminalmuseum.rothenburg...h/engframe.htm
          Testing
          "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Working...
          X