X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York hit by MASSIVE wind storm

Photos from NYPost here.

To copy what I said about the damage on another forum:

One major street near the store has a basketball court, fenced in with standard wire fences. There's a tree in front, on the corner, that snapped in half and took out a good quarter of the fence, maybe more. One of the local parks is totally wrecked. A housing project several blocks up doesn't have a tree left standing, and the playground was completely destroyed. The major route I take to work (is a boulevard-style setup) has several bits blocked off due to downed limbs.
    This place is a mess...but my neighbourhood is undamaged, beyond a few leaves knocked down. Remarkable.

Wow! How lucky there were so few fatalities in something like that!
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

I read about this earlier. Has a tornado been confirmed yet? Some of the damage looks consistent with a tornado.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I don't think there's a confirmed tornado yet, though there were a couple of funnel clouds, and a small waterspout near the Navy Yards in Greenpoint.

Comment

Wow. We got a good storm and some torrential rain yesterday (saw a few good lightning bolts ) but the wind wasn't too bad.

The bad part was I had to drive home in it. Roads were flooding that don't normally flood because it was coming down so hard.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The National Weather service confirmed 2 tornadoes, one in Brooklyn and one in Queens. The are pics of the NYC storm damage in this link.
            http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...tos_2010-09-16

Comment

Wow, we regularly get bad wind storms here, but that's something else! (Worst damage I'd seen from one of our storms was 8 trees falling on 1 persons property...5 on the house and 3 on the car).
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
              X