X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook generation

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article...ome1&gt1=23000

I dont why articles like this make me mad but they do. Probadly cause I was always told shut up and follow THEIR rules, if you want the job. Now everyone wants to make their own rules.

Well no where in their rules did it say shut up and follow their rules. If anything, they're just stating facts about a sterotype group of people, and it's often true, at least in my experence. Young people just don't have the attention span, nor do they care to do their job if they find it boring. They're use to others bailing them out, and take little to no self responsiblity for their actions.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I'm definitely not on Facebook (for some reason, their mere existence offends me). I don't have an iPod (my phone plays mp3's and streams music just fine). I'm also over 20 years older than the oldest person mentioned in the article (their 15-19 year old linkster group). I say that point out that they're not talking about me.

And yet, they're right. The stereotypes I know say that, 50 or so years ago, people were focused on living. It didn't matter if it was a good life (everybody wanted it, and tried to get it, but that was secondary, survival was first).

That's changed: People now focus more on quality of life than they do the simple survival. People have figured out that surviving is, sometimes, not worth much if you don't have a life that you define as good.

Note that I didn't call it "the good life". Most times, the good life is defined as someone having all the money, the house, the cars, the stuff. However, having a life where you are happy is far preferable to a life where you have stuff. Kids are being brought up to understand this simple fact, and their employment choices are reflected by this knowledge.

They're going to avoid working for places which make them miserable. They're going to avoid working for and with people that make them miserable.

I'm right there with them. I'm switching jobs this weekend. I'm not doing it for money (I have enough where I work). I'm not doing it because I'm dissatisfied where I am. I'm doing it because I will be happier where I'm going.

This article is about telling managers that they may very well have good people that they're going to lose due to unhappy working conditions. If the manager doesn't want to lose those people, they have to make work a place that people want to stay.

Another way to look at it: A week has 168 hours in it. Working full time means spending anywhere from 40 hours to 60 hours per week dealing with work in some fashion (working, lunch break, commuting, preparing). If you're going to spend over 1/3 of your life dealing with work, and you care at all about being happy, why would you not focus on having the best work experience you can?

Comment

I think it's a pretty good article but there should be a reminder that they shouldn't baby their young employees, most of these things should be applied to any new employee at any age. I see the point that they are saying treating a teen as part of the group and encouraging growth, but I think a few of their ideas need a bit more thought as to how to do that.

I didn't like "Let your people know them Linksters are joining your team and ask everyone to welcome them." You should do that to anyone coming in, not just a kid. I just don't like the term Linkster. It's silly and doesn't sound very respectful, and we all know there is some boss out there trying to be cool who will actually use that term.

Also 9 and 10 are interesting, I don't necessarily agree with them. Updated fashionable uniforms may or may not be work appropriate depending on the job. It would be considered case by case, I see nothing wrong with asking an opinion if say you work at a place that deals with fashion and it's not a corporation.
        Also I would only apply number ten if you bumped into their parents, otherwise you just sound like you are sucking up and if the kid happens to have helicopter parent's encouraging the parent to have a way to active role in the kid's job. Encouraging the kid would do far more then thanking the parents. Any good parent deserves a pat on the back but bringing them into their child's work environment I don't think is appropriate and the employee who's parent it is might be embarrassed and resent you for it.

I think some of these ideas for ALL employees would make a better work environment. Just doing it to a new kid coming in might cause resentment if you aren't already doing it with your other employees and could be considered favoritism.
        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Ok, I'm 22 and so apparently I'm not in the "Facebook generation," but I have to say that if I was working as a teenager and my boss called my parents to "express thanks," that would be beyond humiliating! Not to mention, I'm not on good terms with my family and I think blindly assuming everyone in the Facebook generation is, is just asking for trouble...

I agree with some of those things. Like I would appreciate knowing exactly what my job entails. But I think everyone wants to know that.
          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

I'm mixed on this.

1) yes and no. I can accept if someone has a shorter attention span. I also have good advice for them to use if it's a problem. As for work being boring. Join the club.

2) I think most jobs should come with this really.

3) Only if they've earned it. Respect I can give but value has to be earned. And respect can be lost

4) Yes.

5) They need to learn.

6) Welcoming everyone is fine. Giving them the regs is fine. Baby sitting is not fine.

7) Fuck if I care. Sorry but I ain't into half the stuff kids listen to these days

8) I don't mind. People need to learn more than one thing.

9) Not for every single employee. Sometimes they need to learn to buck up and put on the uniform.

10) This is a job not your high school counselor. Since they're not babysitting the kids need to learn to grow the fuck up.

Comment

Working...
            X