This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's "Big America" burgers...available only in Japan

Last year, McDonald's launched a very successful campaign in Japan with the "Big America" burgers:

http://inventorspot.com/articles/mcd...ers_2010_35909

So successful, in fact, that this year they are launching version 2.0:

http://inventorspot.com/articles/mcd...e_back_seconds

I tried a Texas burger last year, and it was very good. I am looking forward to trying the Idaho burger when it becomes available next month.

One of the cool things about being an American living in Japan is that I see things from the other side of the looking glass. In America, we are fed only bits and pieces of Japanese culture (the parts that are most popular and therefore, profitable) and that shapes our view of Japan; on the flip side, the Big America series is the sort of thing that shapes Japan's view of America.

So, for those of you living in Texas, Idaho, etc...how accurate are they?

Miami = taco? WTF?

An empenataburger would be farm more fitting (especially if they served "Cafe Cubano" during the breakfast hours).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

They should do a Southern burger with pulled pork and coleslaw on it. Mmmmmm.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well...yes, there are potatoes in Idaho...

Although I've never wanted to put one on a hamburger.
        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Yeah I agree with Eisa. I've only lived in Idaho a short time now, but I've never seen anything remotely close to the idaho burger. Fries on the other hand are a big thing and I've seen lots of different kinds of fries all over the place.
          It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            They should do a Southern burger with pulled pork and coleslaw on it. Mmmmmm.
            Win.

(filler)
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
              Well...yes, there are potatoes in Idaho...

Although I've never wanted to put one on a hamburger.
              Wha? You never put a bunch of french fries on your burger?

You haven't lived yet....
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

... the Utah burger will require pastrami ...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'd say the Miami burger has more of a Tex-Mex look to it. But really, what's a Texas burger without some Jalapenos?
                  Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

The Miami Burger, to be sold from mid-February until mid-March, is meant to evoke the spicy flavor of the American South though McDonalds Japan refers to southwestern “tacos” in their description of this supposedly southeastern burger. The Miami Burger features a quarter-pound beef patty topped with lettuce, tortilla chips, shredded cheese and a moderately spicy tomato chili sauce. Americans may find the Miami Burger slightly confusing but hey – you'll never see one on the menu in South Beach anyway. Say OM NOM NOM to my leettle friend!
                    *Looks aghast* Miami?????
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                      But really, what's a Texas burger without some Jalapenos?
                      You beat me to it! Burger King does Texas burgers sometimes and they always have jalapenos. If you want to be really Texan, deep fry the jalapenos (have you been to the State Fair? Deep fried EVERYTHING).

I would really expect avocado with the California burger. Doesn't every California named food item include avocado?

EDIT: Miami?? WTF?
                      Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        You beat me to it! Burger King does Texas burgers sometimes and they always have jalapenos. If you want to be really Texan, deep fry the jalapenos (have you been to the State Fair? Deep fried EVERYTHING).

EDIT: Miami?? WTF?
                        Whataburger (based in Corpus Christi,TX) offers both sliced & whole jalapeños,it ain't a Texas burger without 'em.
                        "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                          Wha? You never put a bunch of french fries on your burger?

You haven't lived yet....
                          I did that a lot as a kid! Have you ever stuck them on the top of the bun and pretend they're birthday candles??

I really lived hard and fast during my elementary school years

Comment

Am I the only one wishing they'd port some of these burgers over to the States? The Hawaiian, Idaho, and Manhattan sound awesome, even if they're not completely fitting their supposed origins.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                              Miami = taco? WTF?

An empenataburger would be farm more fitting (especially if they served "Cafe Cubano" during the breakfast hours).
                              That or shredded pork like ropa viejo style (sans the rice) and definitely the Cuban coffee shots with fried yucca on the side and pastelitos!!!
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X