This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this was handled well

Today (3-14-11), this happened at the largest mall in my area and well, it may be awhile since I go there. I am glad nobody got hurt and the authorities did the right thing. I think some lessons from the Virginia Tech tragedy as well as other shootings at shopping centers/malls were learned and now applied by the authorities.

Anyway I don't know anyone I knew was there when it happened but I am sure I will know in a few days. My family and I were there just a couple of days ago. We don't go there that often since it's across town from where we live.
    Last edited by rdp78; 03-15-2011, 03:47 AM. Reason: changed something
    Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
    My space
    Facebook

Hope Trachtenberg-Fifer said she was shopping inside Macy's about 5:45 p.m., when store employees asked shoppers to leave.

Store employees "were clearly panicked," Trachtenberg-Fifer said.

She asked an officer if she could resume shopping soon.

"We don't know where he is with the rifle right now," Trachtenberg-Fifer said the officer told her.
    I have a feeling this is what the officer was thinking when he was asked that. Cause I know that's what I did when I read it.

I give a lot of credit to the mall employees, they handled it very well, that was a scary situation.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Maybe it wasn't handled THAT well...

Comment

Well, I guess it wasn't really handled too well, since it was actually an umbrella and not a rifle. I guess I can see how a long black umbrella would be mistaken for a rifle from a distant. Anyway here is an update from the same local news program. I would think the three people who reported it would want to do this and well, I haven't heard how much money the mall's stores lost due do this incendent.
        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
        My space
        Facebook

Comment

Still, it's better to report and have the place evacuated, then not and have lives lost. While yes, they mistook an umbrella as a rifle, they should should still be thanked for protecting the people in the mall. Silly mistake? Yes, the man does seem rather relaxed walking around the stores, so maybe some training is needed for employees to identify threats, since sadly this is the world we live in now. However its better to call for help, then to go ehhhh I don't know...I could be wrong, and possibly live your life knowing the people who died in your place of business could have been saved by you making a phone call.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Working...
          X