This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About Teachers

I made a video that I thought I would share. It's about the hours we teachers work.

http://youtu.be/DwD1AFgnn7I

Do you mind if we share it?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

i always figured the teachers had to work at home too. i mean preparing lessons and grading tests etc. plus they have to be in school and ready before the students are.

Comment

I knew even in high school that teachers had it rough. Fight the good fight, TexasT.
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          i always figured the teachers had to work at home too. i mean preparing lessons and grading tests etc. plus they have to be in school and ready before the students are.
          My roommate is a teacher. She does a ton more homework than the kids. For every one assignment they get, she has to grade 20 of 'em (the year before last she actually only had 12 kids [5th grade]; a couple years before that she had 27 first graders; last year she taught science for all of the middle school grades. Don't know how many she'll have this year but she's back teaching 5th grade, everything but language arts, and 4th grade science [the 4th grade teacher will teach 5th grade language arts]*)...in addition to planning all the lessons and assignments in the first place.

*She teaches at a Catholic school, pre-K to 8th grade.. there's one class per grade except for preschool has 2, I think.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-19-2011, 12:33 AM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In Scotland (different education system to rest of UK) it depends what type of teacher and what subject you teach.

Most of my family are teachers so I can give you some real world examples..

A secondary teacher in Scotland is supposed to work 35hrs a week maximum along with having a maximum class size etc.

My father is a Biology teacher and currently does no work outside of school in regards to marking etc at all, however my Stepmother is an English teacher and works every night and a fair amount of time over the weekends to keep up.

My Mother is a primary Head and does very little out side of work hours in regards to kids school work however does a large amount of admin.

From what I am told (I decided a long time ago I wasn't cut out to be a teacher - mainly as I'd murder the kids) this is a fair representation of teaching round here, some subjects require a large amount of extra work where as others have none.
            Not y3k compatible

Comment

I know a married couple who are teachers. He retired a few years ago after 30 years (most recently teaching 5th grade); she still works. She teaches remedial math....in a maximum-security state prison. Not an easy or even a safe job.

Most people have no idea how much time and how much of their own money teachers put into their jobs.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                I know a married couple who are teachers. He retired a few years ago after 30 years (most recently teaching 5th grade); she still works. She teaches remedial math....in a maximum-security state prison. Not an easy or even a safe job.

Most people have no idea how much time and how much of their own money teachers put into their jobs.
                indeed. i'm betting the security guards count every single pencil ... assuming they even get pencils to use in class.

Comment

Working...
                X