X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rescuers lift car off crashed motorcyclist

warning actual footage
    Dude. Seriously. Dude. The only problem I have with this scenario is that someone wasn't on the motorcyclist like white on rice taking his pulse... but ... I can't blame them! (and the most important part was done...) (and anyway, it seemed like paramedic sorts were there quickly/already anyway)
    That's awesome.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
    The only problem I have with this scenario is that someone wasn't on the motorcyclist like white on rice taking his pulse
    Thing is most people don't know what to do - they don't know how to take a set of obs (Pulse/Resps/Pupils) nor how to do a primary survey. If most people don't know how do do those things you can bet your bottom dollar they won't know how to treat someone.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Or hell, just making sure his neck can't move, and telling him to lay still! I know enough to be able to do that... I'll have to see if there's anything on how he's doing... Utah has good Samaritan laws, right? most likely. It was really scary seeing him just lay there... o____o
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Raised my faith in humanity a bit. Loved that cop tho getting everyone away from the burning vehicles yet leaving the poor guy lying RIGHT NEXT TO IT. They did good but that guy is massively lucky that the tank on that bike didn't go with him lying right there.
        Last edited by Bramble; 09-14-2011, 03:46 AM. Reason: so tired, can't spell
        My Wajas cave

Comment

Yeah, while its great that people came to help him, I did cringe a bit when I saw them rocking the car back and forth. Hopefully he was just stuck under there and the car wasn't actually resting on top of him or that would have added to his injuries.
          That said, if the alternative was leaving the poor bugger there to burn to death this is certainly the better option.
          Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

They probably didn't want to move him anymore than they had to. But yeah, while the rough handling probably wasn't good for him, he didn't have much to lose at that point, so it hardly mattered. He didn't burn to death and at least got a chance.

Those people are heroes. That whole mess could have blown up and taken every one of them with it.

It's good to see a mob of strangers banding together to help someone like that. We hear so much about the bad stuff people do it's easy to forget people do aweseome stuff, too.

Comment

I'm just curious ... where's the driver? I mean did the driver get out of the car? Did the driver help?

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I think we can rule out his being in the car.

Comment

You never want to move the body more than you have to. But in a situation like that, you need to get them out of there. Because it's either (1) move the body with a chance that you'll injure them worse, or (2) leave them where they are and they'll definitely not make it. Basically, do whatever gives them the greatest chance of survival in that sort of situation. Given how hot the guy said it was under there when they lifted the car, and how the tank on the bike could have blown at any minute, I definitely think they made the right call.

Edit: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52574438-78/story.csp Looks like the guy made it! His recovery isn't going to be short by the sounds of it, but at least he is alive. If those people hadn't come together to pull him out, he most likely wouldn't have made it. All those people should be proud that they saved a life!
                  Last edited by bhskittykatt; 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Yeah... and i coulda sworn I typed it... beh--
                    "The only losing move is not to play." Better to lose a leg than to burn to death sort of a thing.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      You never want to move the body more than you have to.
                      I would say that is exactly what happened in this case. After all, getting a body out of range of a dangerous situation but no further is the epitome of that statement.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I used to live not far from where that happened, and I have to say, the fact that there was a crash between a car and a motorcycle, no big surprise... however, that the people of Logan were able to leave their comfortable little bubbles for long enough to put themselves in danger to save someone else is amazing. That actually restores my faith in humanity when even people in a town known for being the least risk takers in the state are willing to rush to someone's aid...
                        ... then again, this is also the town where everyone believes God quite literally is standing next to them protecting them, this is why accidents like this aren't surprising... so maybe it isn't so surprising that people would rush to his aid...
                        ... but seriously, this is a town of 100,000 with only one mexican restaurant (I don't count Taco Bell) because spicy food is too adventurous...
                        ... gah this is so full of contradictions...

Now you know why I moved out of Logan, a man could easily go insane there.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Someone, maybe more than a someone, broke through the ever-plauging 'bystander's syndrome,' you can see it on the video in their hesitations (slight... not that I'm bitching, mind... granted, that could also be the fire causing them pause...)... I'm glad it's worked out alright, and the young man still has a good life ahead of him... and one of "OMG wear your helmet!" campaigns!

Comment

Working...
                          X