This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Capp at the Wine Shop

Since i couldn't remember who here works at a wine shop, i'll share this here, besides i'm sure many of us will get a chuckle

Andy Capp shopping for a party
    Last edited by Javarod; 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

That would be me. Along with a few others, but I'm the one who touts it most (I think).

Now that's funny. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone come in and say "I need a nice bottle of wine for a party. Got any ($8 Pinot Grigio)?"

Comment

http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/25/2516/251619.gif

... cos I clicked the original link and was trying to figure out how a fingertip search was related to a wine store.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/25/2516/251619.gif

... cos I clicked the original link and was trying to figure out how a fingertip search was related to a wine store.
        Whoops, thanks, forgot about the date issue, my bad, and fixed now.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Sacrelige! Andy Capp is a beer drinker - why would he be buying wine?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            That would be me. Along with a few others, but I'm the one who touts it most (I think).

Now that's funny. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone come in and say "I need a nice bottle of wine for a party. Got any ($8 Pinot Grigio)?"
            Ghah! Shoulda known you'd already seen this.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
              Ghah! Shoulda known you'd already seen this.
              That's ok, now all my FB friends can see it too!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Sacrelige! Andy Capp is a beer drinker - why would he be buying wine?
                maybe his wife nagged him for some?

Comment

The clearance area is where I buy wines that I plan to cook with. Quite handy.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    The clearance area is where I buy wines that I plan to cook with. Quite handy.
                    Be careful with this. They're clearance for a reason.

General rule of cooking with booze - if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. There are a lot of good (cheap) wines out there that are great for cooking, and I can definitely offer recommendations. Just ask Lupo or xx_wolfie_xx - I frequently get calls or texts from them with a "HALP!" when they're picking up cooking booze.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                      Be careful with this. They're clearance for a reason.

General rule of cooking with booze - if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. There are a lot of good (cheap) wines out there that are great for cooking, and I can definitely offer recommendations.
                      I typically use Two-Buck Chuck or Oak Leaf (Wally World's version). Every now and then I see something usable in the liquor store bargin bin.

To only cook what you can drink is, I will grant, a good rule of thumb; however depending on how you're cooking (e.g. bring to a boil and serve or long braise). I used a clearance chard that Mrs. TGK literally spit out (sorry, no video). The resulting tomato sauce was awesome, though. Yes even my picky eating wife liked it:Well the flavor, I had to take the stick blender to it for the texture she liked. I would have never used that swill for something without at least an hour of simmering.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                      X