This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Your Bookseller Really Feels

I just read this and I thought it was something you all would appreciate.

http://work.failblog.org/2011/09/21/...-off-my-chest/

(Apologies if it's already been posted.)
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

More of a CIO post
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Employees at closing Borders store take time to rag on SCs in style!

"Things we never told you: Ode to a bookstore Death"

• We hate when a book becomes popular simply because it was turned into a movie.

• We greatly dislike the phrase "Quick Question." It's never true. And everyone seems to have one.

• We always knew when you were intently reading Better Homes And Gardens, it was really a hidden Playboy.

• It NEVER bothered us when you threatened to shop at Barnes & Noble. We'd rather you do if you're putting up a stink.

• "I was just here last week and saw this book there" meant nothing to us. The store changed once a week.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Posters on other websites are ragging on the employees for doing this, but as someone who has spent a lot of time in customer service I think it's awesome.

• Oprah was not the "final say" on what is awesome. We really didn't care what was on her show or what her latest book club book was. Really.

Remember the above the next time you're tempted to ask, "So there was this red book I wanted that was over that a month ago, where is it?"
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I have actually found a book for someone based on little more than the color of the cover. I was pretty proud of myself. I liked some of those kinds of challenges (as long as the customer wasn't the type to get pissed off if I couldn't find it. If they were nice about it and realized they were asking the impossible, I'd be more likely to go out of my way to figure it out).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

This is so made of win that I shared the pic on my Facebook page!
          "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
          --StanFlouride

Comment

Thanks for fixing it, iradney & CC2!
            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

When I go to a bookstore, it's one rare day when I don't know where to look for what I want. The employees wander over and ask me if they can help me, because I so rarely need to ask them. We end up having delightful conversations about reading.

And I've never asked if they have more in the back room.

Comment

Some of the comments on that must have been from the very SC's they were referring to. "Elitist!" "Snob!" "You hate your job! You hate your customers!" Wow. Must have hit the target.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Some of the comments on that must have been from the very SC's they were referring to. "Elitist!" "Snob!" "You hate your job! You hate your customers!" Wow. Must have hit the target.

Of course, because it's not possible to overall like your job and still have complaints about certain aspects of it. Nope, not at all.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X