• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snack prices at the multiplex

http://www.freep.com/article/2012030...ivonia-theater

Someone is suing AMC theaters over snack pricing

==============================

On the one hand, I agree that snack prices are extortionate...

On the other hand, the simple fact is, the prices are so egregious because it's the only way theaters make any money -- ticket sales don't even begin to cover the preposterous costs of "leasing" a movie. Blame the publishers, especially for huge movies like Star Wars.

As for the case -- I seriously doubt it'll go anywhere, I'm afraid, for reasons explained in the article. I can offer him a simple solution, tho... Do what I do and eat before you go to the movies ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

"When I was a kid, $1 could get you into the movies and buy you a pop and popcorn. But not anymore,"
    And everything else was cheaper back then too. What's your point? (not to you EricKei, but to the lady filing the suit)

I mean if I don't want to afford the prices of the snacks I eat before I go out.

I too think it will be dismissed simply because... I cannot think of any current law that dictates what snacks can be sold at. And you are suppose to base rulings off of actual laws and not personal gripes against the industry.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      On the one hand, I agree that snack prices are extortionate...

On the other hand, the simple fact is, the prices are so egregious because it's the only way theaters make any money -- ticket sales don't even begin to cover the preposterous costs of "leasing" a movie. Blame the publishers, especially for huge movies like Star Wars.
      ^_^
      This right here. In fact some theaters take a LOSS on the certain movies thanks to the studios charging themselves stupid amounts of money to distribute their own movies

Comment

I never knew that. I assumed it was just greed.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          I never knew that. I assumed it was just greed.
          You are right on that. It just that it is in more places than you thought.

ETA:
          I should add that I do not fault anyone for making a profit. If you don't make a profit, you don't stay in business.
          Last edited by csquared; 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM. Reason: Edit to add
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Wow. I hope it does get thrown out. I don't usually eat or drink at the movies, and I'd hate to see what my ticket price would be if they weren't subsidizing it with concession sales!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              I don't usually eat or drink at the movies, and I'd hate to see what my ticket price would be if they weren't subsidizing it with concession sales!
              Well, there is a reason that you see ads before the film.

I understand that the plaintiff was previously allowed to bring in his own food and drink. I can never recall being allowed to do that.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                I understand that the plaintiff was previously allowed to bring in his own food and drink. I can never recall being allowed to do that.
                The two major cinema chains down my way allow us to do just that (yes, I'm aware that there's another 2-3 chains. I'm referring to Wallis, not Hoyts)

Although my boyfriend and I try and get a deal. We share popcorn and get 2 drinks (the very popular local cinema chain lets you fill/make your own stuff. I tend to make a rainbow slushie ), so it's a little bit cheaper at least. If not, then usually we'll at least buy a drink.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

In 2009, AMC joined Regal in banning outside food.
                  http://www.examiner.com/health-in-da...food-and-drink

I don't know of any theater that openly state that they allow outside food. I do know that a fare number turn a blind eye.
                  Save the Ales!

Comment

I am sure the plaintiff is prepared to pay at least double the current cost of a ticket to see a movie, or watch trailers for at least an hour, if he prevails in his lawsuit.

If you don't want to get gouged on movie theater snacks, don't buy them. Problem...solution! Seriously, can't he sit for two hours without shoving food in his face? I can.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Or..heaven forbid..wait till it comes out on DVD..rent it for a buck fifty, sit in the comfort of your own place..eating whatever you would like. True..you don't get the whole cinema experience..no noisy people talking through the movie, no having to hold your ears against the loud theater sound system...no cramped seats...
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        Seriously, can't he sit for two hours without shoving food in his face?

Nope.
                        Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                          Or..heaven forbid..wait till it comes out on DVD..rent it for a buck fifty, sit in the comfort of your own place..eating whatever you would like. True..you don't get the whole cinema experience..no noisy people talking through the movie, no having to hold your ears against the loud theater sound system...no cramped seats...

...and you can pause the movie & go to the bathroom without having to worry about missing anything.

Comment

Mytical and BrightStar--I love you guys.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              The two major cinema chains down my way allow us to do just that
                              There was (might still be) a second-run place in Logan Square that actually required checking shopping bags/backpacks, etc. and looked into purses to prevent snack-smuggling. It strikes me as seriously cheap since the showings were all for $2.50--as this was within a week of the DVD.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X