This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Stroke Tour '12 (Yay! Pictures!)

Rather than endure the yearly festival here where we live, my boyfriend and I decided to take a road trip.

Sumter, South Carolina

Florence, South Carolina
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Ok. Got through Sumter. Will have to defer Florence 'til after work.
    MARVELOUS! as usual; you have a good eye and the skills to back it up.
    What is 'Sumter42.jpg?'
    As an ex-Floridian, I literally pulled my feet off the floor at my desk when I saw the fire ant mound.
    The 'Recovery' statue (as well as the rest of the park) is very cool, although I'm surprised an attraction focused on swans is so popular - "Hey! Come hang out near huge birds that attack at the drop of a hat! Bring a lunch."
    And good on Sumter for the real brick sidewalks instead of that molded concrete crap. Much nicer. The pocket parks are a good idea too.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      Ok. Got through Sumter. Will have to defer Florence 'til after work.
      MARVELOUS! as usual; you have a good eye and the skills to back it up.
      What is 'Sumter42.jpg?'
      As an ex-Floridian, I literally pulled my feet off the floor at my desk when I saw the fire ant mound.
      The 'Recovery' statue (as well as the rest of the park) is very cool, although I'm surprised an attraction focused on swans is so popular - "Hey! Come hang out near huge birds that attack at the drop of a hat! Bring a lunch."
      And good on Sumter for the real brick sidewalks instead of that molded concrete crap. Much nicer. The pocket parks are a good idea too.
      "Sumter42" is an odds-and-ends store on the south end of downtown. It looks like it's housed in an old gas station. Did it not show up for you? If so, I apologize, but I just took a look and it showed up for me.

Thanks for looking and for your compliments especially!

Oh, and regarding fire ants, it's too cold for them up here in the mountains where I live. Boyfriend says they're fine to admire from a distance, but if you get in the middle of them and they find you, you won't be doing that again.
      Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
        "Sumter42" ... looks like it's housed in an old gas station. Did it not show up for you?
        Loaded fine, was just a curious structure. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and regarding fire ants, ...but if you get in the middle of them and they find you....
        Was involved in an accident once where the car ended up in the median of I95. The trooper who took statements was fine - full length khakis and those calvary boots they wear. Me and passenger in shorts and sandals, not so much. I was ready to say the accident was my fault and I'd pay cash to the other person RIGHT NOW if it would have gotten us off that sand.

Comment

Okee - done with Florence as well. VERY nice, thank you. Hope they can revive their downtown - the thing I like most about both locations is the brickwork in those older commercial buildings. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Although the library was pretty impressive too.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oh, and regarding fire ants, it's too cold for them up here in the mountains where I live. Boyfriend says they're fine to admire from a distance, but if you get in the middle of them and they find you, you won't be doing that again.
            A fire ant mound that big, you won't be doing ANYTHING ever again.

Evil, vile little bastards.
            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Thanks for taking a look at the fruits of my labor.

All these fire ant stories... I'm glad I live where I do.

Comment

Working...
              X