This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people can't hold their liquor

Jester, you might not want to read about this, since it involves alcohol abuse worse than making eggnog using Pyrat Cask 1623.

One possibility the story doesn't mention is that it might not be an accident - it could be a SC trying to get more "bragging rights" by ensuring he and his friend are the only ones to ever drink the expensive booze.

What's the big deal with a 234 year old bottle of cognac? It's my understanding that distilled liquor is "dead", i.e. unlike wine or beer it has no inherent chemical change, merely the reaction with the barrel in which it is aged, so that bottling in glass (which is non-reactive) stops the aging process. Because of this, hard liquor that was bottled last week after 12 years in the barrel is "older" than some that was bottled 50 years ago after 4 years in the barrel.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

thats a travesty.

Comment

At that price it had better be good.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        What's the big deal with a 234 year old bottle of cognac? It's my understanding that distilled liquor is "dead", i.e. unlike wine or beer it has no inherent chemical change, merely the reaction with the barrel in which it is aged, so that bottling in glass (which is non-reactive) stops the aging process. Because of this, hard liquor that was bottled last week after 12 years in the barrel is "older" than some that was bottled 50 years ago after 4 years in the barrel.
        You are correct with that. The only aging that occurs is while it's in the barrel(s). During that time it penetrates the wood and transfers the flavourants of the wood into the alcohol. Once bottled, there's no more flavourants to transfer so it's just sitting there. There's actually standards on how to tell how long it was aging:

VS= Very Superior - aged 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 years
        VSOP = Very Superior Old Pale - 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 years
        XO = eXtra Old - more than 6 1/2 years

So when buying cognac that's what you want to look for, not the made at date.

All that said, a 234 year old bottle of cognac would be EXTREMELY rare for simply surviving so long without being opened. Hence the price. Though if I were a booze aficionado (no, I'm not) I would go for a 12 year old XO over a 200 year old VS.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
        X