X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting chart

http://chartsbin.com/view/1454

It's a current chart of murder rates for the world, based on how many murders/homicides per 100,000 people.

Insert Malcom Reynold's "Huh" sound.... I've been to a county that's in the 29.84 - 40 range. It was back in early 98 on my first deployment (Republic of South Africa). Dunno if it was better or worse back then tho.

edit:
    adding image

Last edited by PepperElf; 08-07-2012, 03:23 AM.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    Insert Malcom Reynold's "Huh" sound.... I've been to a county that's in the 29.84 - 40 range. It was back in early 98 on my first deployment (Republic of South Africa). Dunno if it was better or worse back then tho.
    Probably worse. That was a time when the republic was controlled by the wealthy 1% white people and the black people there not only tolerated a form of "racial cleansing" but encouraged it.

Just recently a local paper did a story of emigrants and put one of a family from S.Africa. If you think racism is bad in the US, you clearly haven't been to s. Africa.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

When I was there, they had what looked to be old bus station lots or something that people were using for cardboard housing. A few blocks away from ritzy hotels.

Cities visited: Durban & Cape Town.

Comment

can't help but notice how nice and lightly coloured Canada is.

Come to Canada we're too polite to commit murder.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
          They'll just introduce you to the great Canadian outdoors... in winter.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            It's a current chart of murder rates for the world, based on how many murders/homicides per 100,000 people.
            Quoth gremcint View Post
            Aren't there only 100,000 people in Canada?

Comment

Wow, great site PE, thanks!

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                can't help but notice how nice and lightly coloured Canada is.

Knowing the evilness of man and the remoteness of some locations I bet that theres much that goes unreported.

Some Canadians that were unpolite:

Paul Bernardo, Wayne Boden, John Martin Crawford, Léopold Dion, William Patrick Fyfe, Gilbert Paul Jordan, Allan Legere, Clifford Olson, Robert Pickton, Peter Woodcock

and the latest: Luka Magnotta.
                Last edited by Josh; 08-09-2012, 07:54 AM.
                “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
                ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

No, Greenland is marked "no data", possibly because it's a dependant territory rather than a country in it's own right.

Note how much lighter Finland is than Russia, and also Japan and South Korea compared to North Korea (which I'm very surprised they *do* have data for). Looks like the murder rate is a pretty good indicator of civilisation.

Comment

Working...
                  X