X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only they really did this...

Samsung "pays" Apple with 5 cent coins

While this is fake, I had a bit of a laugh at it.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

wait... we don't want to give SCs any more ideas.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      wait... we don't want to give SCs any more ideas.
      They already have that idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adcmv4geQ0

People probably think this is not common but I've seen people try to pay phone bills with 100% coins.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

It was bad enough that an SC paid his $250 prep fee in all singles.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          It was bad enough that an SC paid his $250 prep fee in all singles.
          I've seen a lot of tipped employees pay for $50-100 purchases in all singles. Doesn't really bother me, I can count them up pretty quick.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'm assuming that Paperblog is known for this sort of thing - but here's some maths I did quickly when I first heard about this:

A US 5c coin weighs exactly 5 grams (nominally). You need 20 billion of them to make $1 billion, so that's a total of 100,000 metric tons of coins. Which is a *lot*.

An American 18-wheeler lorry can weigh a total of 40 tons. That's not 40 tons of payload, though. Let's say you can get 25 tons of coins into one of those - you'd then need 4000 lorries to transport the coins, not the quoted 30. (Even at 40 tons payload, it would be 2500 lorries.)

A typical American railway freight wagon - say a coal or ore hopper - can hold about 100 metric tons of material. You would still need 1000 of these wagons to transport the coins. Assuming each wagon is 20 metres long (a number I pulled out of my backside because it's the length of a typical European passenger carriage), a single train containing these wagons would be 20km, or 12 miles long.

That is obviously too long to actually manage as a single train. More likely, it would be split up into several trains, about a mile long each. (Apparently 10,000 ton coal trains are in regular service, but that's about as heavy as a single train can be.)

The only single vehicle that could carry all the coins at once would be a "capesize" bulk freighter - one too big to pass through the Panama canal. Coincidentally, South Korea is the largest builder of such ships.

Comment

Not only that but as pointed out here, that would require Samsung to obtain each and every nickle minted over the last 70 years.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah, it's a truly colossal number of coins - I'm actually surprised there *were* that many in circulation, even in as widely used a currency as the US Dollar. It corresponds to about 3 coins per man, woman and child on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                X