X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organic food tested

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...ins-nutrients/

Interesting results really.

The organic food came out ahead in the area of antibiotic-resistant germs, especially in meat products such as chicken & pork.

The organics also had less pesticide exposure of course, but the non-organics measured within safety limits.

Nutrition however had no difference.

That's pretty much why I don't bother buying organic lol. Non-organic is pretty tightly controlled in my area so I'm not worried about overexposure. If I lived elsewhere, maybe, but no need here (usually, anyway).

Comment

Many years back I read an article in a organic / veggie friendly magazine (Mother Jones I think) that listed the organic items worth the extra price. If I remember root vegetables were the main thing to get organic if you can - potatoes esp. Not always because of the non-use of pesticides, but because organic potatoes aren't cultivated for the fast food industry and are more tasty / fluffier.
      I can't afford to buy organic (I'll splurge at the farmers market in season, but off season - no way).
      The only things I will splurge on because I can taste the difference is free range chicken and eggs. I did have a super tasty burger last weekend and I found out that they got the meat from just down the block - a place that names their cows, gives them massages and takes them away from the others when it is time and kills them as humanely as possible.

Comment

This really isn't surprising, and shouldn't be news. A conventionally grown apple and an organic apple are both apples. They both have the same nutritional content of, well, an apple.

The benefits of organic is exactly what the study stated: lack of pesticides, and a lack of antibiotic-resistant germs. People tend to buy organic more for the eco-benefits. Organic fertilizer is gentler on the environment and isn't petroleum based. For meats, since the animals can't simply be shot up with a bunch of antibiotics, that usually means (though this isn't a guarantee) they have more space to roam and are treated better (since you don't want disease to spread with a bunch of packed-together animals you can't use antibiotics on).

Where conventional produce dominates on an eco-friendly side, though, is transportation. Demand for organics means some get transported a loooong way. If it's the eco-benefits that you are looking for in organic produce, make sure you buy local as well. It's probably better to get local, conventionally grown produce much of the time rather than organic produce from the other side of the country.

Not to mention, conventional produce is often cheaper. If buying a few organic apples sets you back to where the rest of your diet is ramen noodles, it's definitely better for your health to stick with conventional veggies to get more nutritional bang for your buck.

I like to get organic produce when it's on sale (our grocery outlet has an awesome organic section), but I don't go out of my way for it.

Conventional and organic produce/meats each have pros and cons. It's all about what the consumer values.
        Last edited by bhskittykatt; 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

The only things I will splurge on because I can taste the difference is free range chicken and eggs.
          Before you spend extra for free-range at the grocery store, check out the local farms.

Around here in the south, there's usually Amish farms that sell eggs. One of the farms here took a gamble and bought/rented a stand in a higher-traffic area near where my BF works. We buy our eggs from them now simply because it's convenient, and they charge about half what the factory-produced eggs sell for. Plus, you can bring your own cartons in to get them filled. (which may help keep the prices down too, I'm not sure.)

Comment

Our governmental and municipial institutions have a rule of thumb: If possible, buy organic. But if local seasonal goods are cheaper than organic goods, then buy local.

The reason behind this is not nutritional - it is simply due to the cause that pesticides used for non-organic food may seep down to the underground water reserves.

And also, fresh local food with minimal and highly controlled pesticide level from a farm just an hour away compared to imported organic food that has spent 12+ hours on a high-polluted Autobahn... I know what I'd choose.
            Last edited by NorthernZel; 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM.
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Makes sense. Anyone saying organic food has more nutrients is either misinformed or flat out lying.

Organic food however has more flavour than non-organic because the non-organics aren't bred for flavour but some other reason (size, resilience to damage/spoiling, etc).
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

some other reason
                don't forget appearance.

same with roses really. IIRC some of the breeding results for roses have resulted in better color/appearance, but with a tradeoff of weaker scents.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  don't forget appearance.

same with roses really. IIRC some of the breeding results for roses have resulted in better color/appearance, but with a tradeoff of weaker scents.
                  Yes, appearance is a big one. Look at tomatoes for examples. All of those "perfect" specimens in the store were bred to look perfect, but a homegrown one or heirloom will have MUCH stronger flavour.

And a note for chefs, Tomatoes have alcohol soluble flavours, so a dash of vodka in a tomato dish is a good idea.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

A bit off-topic, but some of you may have heard that brown-shelled eggs are more nutritious/taste better than white-shelled eggs. That used to be true, but isn't any longer.

Explanation: The colour of an egg's shell is determined by the breed of hen that lays it. Back in the early days of "battery hen" egg production, the "battery" operations (i.e. regular eggs bought in supermarkets) used hens that laid white-shelled eggs, while small-time farmers raising chickens in the traditional manner tended to have hens that laid brown-shelled eggs. It was the manner in which the hens were raised (battery vs. traditional) that affected the nutrition/taste of the eggs, and the shell colour was an indicator of how the hens were raised.

Needless to say, "battery" operations heard about this, and some of them started using hens that laid brown-shelled eggs, so you can no longer tell by the shell colour how the hens were raised (and therefore the taste/nutrition of the eggs).
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

although in my case it probably still works since i'm buying my brown eggs from an Amish farm.
                      but that's cool to know

Comment

I've always wondered about the birds that lay easter colored eggs...hows theirs stood up.

Comment

It might be just me, but I have noticed that the (usually free-range, but store bought) brown eggs I get seem to be thicker than regular white eggs. By that, I mean when you crack it, the white/yolk is thicker. Again, maybe just me. On the subject of organics, I do make it a regular habit to buy organic milk. I said it on another thread, but the milk I buy usually lasts a good month or more longer than non-organic milk. That's half the reason I buy it!
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                          X