This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female role models

Interesting approach to the differences between pop-culture and geek culture.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tech-fun/fe...-geek-culture/
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

AHHHH they did not include Ellen Ripley (as in "Get away from her, you BITCH")
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Awesome image, but it needs more Ace (from Doctor Who). Who else could beat a Dalek up with a baseball bat and live to not only tell the tale, but go on to kick even more ass?
      my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
      it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

They really should have put Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy opposite Kristen Stewart, just sayin...
        Last edited by Chanlin; 10-15-2012, 03:00 AM. Reason: fixed a spelling issue

Comment

although to be honest, i don't hate bella. i never saw the "wishy washy" thing everyone else says they see. i saw her as self-sacrificing. at least in the book.

but gotta love zoe, she rocks. although ... she didn't have a raygun. she had a "mare's leg" iirc.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
            Awesome image, but it needs more Ace (from Doctor Who). Who else could beat a Dalek up with a baseball bat and live to not only tell the tale, but go on to kick even more ass?
            Too bad that list can't include fanfic characters. I'd nominate Lynda and Brenda DeBeauharnais in a heartbeat.

Who else could create enough havoc to not only piss off half their family tree but also get themselves on the most wanted list of an international crime syndicate AND make monkeys out of two top-notch secret agents (not to mention wrapping them around their diamond-ringed fingers?)

And all of this with a computer program and a hidden 1 plus billion dollar fortune.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              but gotta love zoe, she rocks. although ... she didn't have a raygun. she had a "mare's leg" iirc.
              I thought only The Rifleman (title character in an old TV western) had a "Mare's Leg" - a sawed-off Winchester rifle, so named because it "kicked" harder than a "hog leg" (slang for a revolver). What kind of firearm did Zoe have?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                Too bad that list can't include fanfic characters. I'd nominate Lynda and Brenda DeBeauharnais in a heartbeat.

Who else could create enough havoc to not only piss off half their family tree but also get themselves on the most wanted list of an international crime syndicate AND make monkeys out of two top-notch secret agents (not to mention wrapping them around their diamond-ringed fingers?)

And all of this with a computer program and a hidden 1 plus billion dollar fortune.
                Sounds awesome! You have a link you can PM me, yes?
                my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  I thought only The Rifleman (title character in an old TV western) had a "Mare's Leg" - a sawed-off Winchester rifle, so named because it "kicked" harder than a "hog leg" (slang for a revolver). What kind of firearm did Zoe have?
                  i thought it was called a mare's leg.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    i thought it was called a mare's leg.
                    Not a Dr. Who viewer (don't sic the Daleks on me, please - I don't watch ANY TV), but from the picture you posted here weapon looks like a sawed-off lever action rifle (similar to what The Rifleman carried), so it would be a "mare's leg" instead of the usual "hog leg/Peacemaker). I stand corrected.
                    Last edited by wolfie; 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Not a Dr. Who viewer (don't sic the Daleks on me, please - I don't watch ANY TV)
                      We won't stick the Daleks on you. The pic is actually from Firefly, so it would be Reavers.

(It's okay. We don't have cable here, so I know what it's like to not watch a lot of TV and be lost in conversations. We do have Netflix, though, so I can still get my sci-fi fixes to an extent.)
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

The weapon Zoe used was said to be based off the TV series "Wanted dead or alive" which was a lever-action Winchester carbine, so not to far off from being a sawed-off

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          It was Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) that carried a Mare's Leg in Wanted: Dead or Alive, not Lucas McCain (Chuck Conners) in The Rifleman. Both had modified Winchester 1892 rifles. Josh Randall's had a shortened barrel and stock, and Lucas McCain's was modified for rapid fire. In both cases the rifle was being used several decades before it was historically available.

As for the Mare's Leg prop used by Zoe Washburne (Gina Torres) in Firefly, it was the same Mare's Leg prop used by Crystal Hawks (Sheena Easton) in The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It strikes me that anyone who becomes Dr. Who's companion ends up with cause to regret it.
                            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                            X