This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell USS Enterprise

It is the end for the USS Enterprise. Not the staship... http://www.economist.com/news/united...er?fsrc=scn/ob
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

not surprised. after my 3rd ship was decommissioned, the enterprise became the oldest active ship in the navy

so, in times of peace instead of flying the regular USA Union Jack (just the blue field & white stars) she'd be allowed to fly the battle jack - my current avatar

Comment

It's a shame they can't make her into a museum somewhere. Oh well, as long as they name another carrier after her instead of some politician, she will live on.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
        It's a shame they can't make her into a museum somewhere. Oh well, as long as they name another carrier after her instead of some politician, she will live on.
        IIRC the Enterprise is the name given to the first ship of any new class. So while the ship might not be the same, the name will carry on.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm holding out for a Constitution class starship....

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
            Carriers are normally named after American admirals or politicians (usually presidents). So being named the Enterprise was a bit out of character.

Although you also have to be careful about re-issuing names. IIRC, if the ship is returned to service she will get her name back. So any namesakes have to get re-named.

So usually it's best to wait a while before doing it.

Although I really doubt the Enterprise will be turned into a museum any time soon, if ever. Before they even think of doing that they have to dispose of her nuclear reactors. And unlike subsequent CVNs she has EIGHT. I'm sure they'll have to open her up pretty wide to pull those bitches out. And I'm sure the armored flight deck won't help matters either.

Quoth violiavampyr View Post

although realistically they can't, not while Old Ironsides is still commissioned.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
              Quoth PepperElf View Post

although realistically they can't, not while Old Ironsides is still commissioned.
              Sure they can. Hang her in the holodeck as the ship's chapel.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                not surprised. after my 3rd ship was decommissioned, the enterprise became the oldest active ship in the navy

so, in times of peace instead of flying the regular USA Union Jack (just the blue field & white stars) she'd be allowed to fly the battle jack - my current avatar
                IIRC, the USA doesn't have a Union Jack - that's the name for the British flag. "Jack" (without the "Union") I can understand. By "blue field and white stars", are you referring to what would be the canton (upper hoist quadrant) of a regular U.S. flag?

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                IIRC the Enterprise is the name given to the first ship of any new class. So while the ship might not be the same, the name will carry on.
                My understanding is that any new class is named after the first ship of that class (e.g. Iowa class battleships, Ohio class ballistic missile subs, Los Angeles class attack subs). If they named the first ship of any new class "Enterprise", then the U.S. navy would consist entirely of Enterprise-class ships.

Don't put too much stock in the navy holding to tradition, though. This past week, I saw in USA Today that the navy would be launching the USS Delaware, an attack sub. Traditionally, state names were used for battleships (until they became obsolete), and then for ballistic missile subs. Attack subs were named for (WW2) fish and (nuclear powered) cities.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  IIRC, the USA doesn't have a Union Jack - that's the name for the British flag. "Jack" (without the "Union") I can understand. By "blue field and white stars", are you referring to what would be the canton (upper hoist quadrant) of a regular U.S. flag?
                  Eh. I admit my mind is slipping. It may just be the "jack". But I'm going by navy terms so "canton" was never used while I was in. Just as the US flag was referred to as the "National Ensign".

and the "don't tread on me" is the First Navy Jack.

My understanding is that any new class is named after the first ship of that class (e.g. Iowa class battleships, Ohio class ballistic missile subs, Los Angeles class attack subs). If they named the first ship of any new class "Enterprise", then the U.S. navy would consist entirely of Enterprise-class ships.

Don't put too much stock in the navy holding to tradition, though. This past week, I saw in USA Today that the navy would be launching the USS Delaware, an attack sub. Traditionally, state names were used for battleships (until they became obsolete), and then for ballistic missile subs. Attack subs were named for (WW2) fish and (nuclear powered) cities.
                  Indeed. I was thinking the "first ship of each class" was a bit off too. Mainly because the largest US carrier is the Nimitz class. So it'd be hard to call it the first of the line "Enterprise" since both the Nimitz and the Enterprise were both in service at the same time.

Although yes, sometimes some names do deviate from tradition. Although for the subs, this isn't a break from tradition but a new tradition. The "Fast attack subs" are named after cities (older class) or states (newer class).

with 3 exceptions:
                  One ship is named after a fish/other submarine and another is named after U.S. president Jimmy Carter (the only president to serve in the submarine service); another (now decommissioned) was named after nuclear-submarine pioneer Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Comment

Working...
                  X