This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned paper clips due to injury

Manchester NHS Trust officials made the decision to stop the use of the metal stationary item after a member of staff cut their finger using one.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/907304-...al-paper-clips

-----------------------------------

And we thought our co-irkers were dumb. At least none of them have been harpooned by a paperclip.
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

We used to use those sharp metal things, bit like pushpins but with sharp edges, to fix paper together at work until a messenger sliced his thumb open with one of them (honestly it was quite a nasty injury, the full length of the thumb). Those were actually dangerous and it took years and a proper injury before we stopped using them.
    A paperclip's only dangerous surely if you're stabbing your finger with it vigorously, or maybe unwinding it and using it to clean your ears with.

Comment

How the hell do you cut yourself on a paper clip??? Bizarre.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

lol:
        Another added: 'We should just be lucky the safety memo didn’t run to two pages, that might have proved a bit tricky.'
        As the first comment on the article pointed out, it's a hospital..have they banned scalpels, too?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

what's next? Banning pencils for fear of lead poisoning?

Comment

No, cuz they don't use lead anymore....

Comment

Being one of the lesser Seraph-im, I must testify that I have rammed the wire end of an undeformed paperclip under my fingernail whilst attempting to extract holy writ from the grasp of that spawn of Shaitan.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And now what are they going to use to stick papers together? Oh yeah, staplers, those things are much safer! (Says the guy who managed to staple his thumb)
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                  No, cuz they don't use lead anymore....
                  shhh! don't tell them that!

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                    And now what are they going to use to stick papers together? Oh yeah, staplers, those things are much safer! (Says the guy who managed to staple his thumb)
                    plus, thank you misleading headline:
                    Please ensure any that remain in use be replaced by similar plastic fasteners.
                    though I do love how everyone jumps to, "lols, look at the idiots running things", with no real information. Rosie O'Donnel was in the hospital for 5 days from a papercut(staph infection), but go ahead with your "lol people are stupid"

paper staplers do exist-no metal needed
                    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM.
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      paper staplers do exist-no metal needed
                      Do those make the "cluster" of "cut on 3 sides of a rectangle and force them through" tabs used to hold multi-part fanfold forms together? If so, they're a bad idea - not only do staples use a minimal amount of metal, but an un-stapled document can go through the feeder on a copier, while the tabs left by one of those are likely to cause a jam, and you need to re-staple on a different spot each time or you'll just make a hole.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

All I can say is

"If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I'm sooo saving this to my hard drive.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Do those make the "cluster" of "cut on 3 sides of a rectangle and force them through" tabs used to hold multi-part fanfold forms together? If so, they're a bad idea - not only do staples use a minimal amount of metal, but an un-stapled document can go through the feeder on a copier, while the tabs left by one of those are likely to cause a jam, and you need to re-staple on a different spot each time or you'll just make a hole.
                          this is what i was thinking too. well... that and the fact that paperclips don't damage the paper.

plus... what are they going to open the stuck DVD trays with now?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

plus... what are they going to open the stuck DVD trays with now?
                            A table knife? A spork?
                            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                              A table knife? A spork?
                              yiiiiiii.

I don't think either one will fit into the little hole - you know, the one that's the size of a paperclip?

Seriously to this day a paperclip works wonders in opening stuck DVD/CD trays. It's like a 5-cent wonder tool in the world of computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X