Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a nightmare - sinkhole swallows man from bedroom!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a nightmare - sinkhole swallows man from bedroom!

Prayers going out to the man's family for this.

Apparently a sinkhole opened up under one of the bedrooms last night. Scientists are studying the land for stability before sending in recovery teams (no longer considered a "rescue")

Video is work safe, but the missing man's brother's interview is rather tear-jerking. So be warned.

Brother tries to save man after massive sinkhole swallows Florida bedroom

That is truly terrifying, when even the floor beneath your feet can't be trusted.

Last I read they were still hoping desperately the guy had survived, but I don't think that's possible anymore. Not to mention I can't imagine what his mental state would be if he had survived.

Comment

very shaken i suspect. and i fear, very brain damaged - either from blunt trauma or from lack of oxygen

Comment

update

Rescuers call off search for Florida man swallowed by sinkhole, officials report

They've given up hope & called off the rescue/recovery.

The sinkhole was described in the article as "unusual" and "growing" (apparently getting deeper). They're not sure why the rest of the house hasn't collapsed.

Comment

That's terrifying

Comment

I'm just going to add that to the ever-growing list of reasons not to live in Florida. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go steal some equipment to run a geological survey under my house to make sure it isn't going to karmically try to eat me...
            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
            "What IS fun to fight through?"
            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Helsinki is built on granite, not limestone. That is a very good thing.

There is a famous railway viaduct in Britain built mostly from local limestone. Due to poor waterproofing, it has weakened over the decades. Yet it still stands, and after fairly recent repairs is still capable of safely carrying heavy trains.

Comment

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Or if you are into WoW, Lurker Below
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh, Daily News...

Comment

Working...
                  X