This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rawr

Is it too much to ask to find nickel-free belts that aren't expensively-priced yet made ghetto-cheaply?

Honestly, I think I'll deal with the ugly belly rash rather than fork out twenty bucks every month for belt straps that break or rip after a week or so of use. Or buckles that break apart.

I've tried nail polish on the buckles of my old, irritating belts. Duct tape works alright but is unsightly and a bit itchy. Don't feel like keeping my shirt tucked in all the time and that doesn't really work either. Have now resorted to two coats of polyurethane on the buckles, which seems to be working.

If nothing of these work, go long on calamine lotion futures.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Another possible thing to try is have the metal parts plated with some other metal that doesn't irritate you. Should be able to do a search and find someone at least sort of local to you that does custom plating. Or powder coating/enameling.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

At a quick google http :// www. nonickel. com/
      I came across this site (have no idea what it is like, or if I am supposed to post links, so therefore the spaces in the address)
      I was looking for Ears L'protect http:// www. aaajewelry.com/HypoallergenicEarrings _Help.html
      which apparently works on the posts of earrings. I went to buy some ages ago but it got lost in international (Australia) postage, the person that runs the site was quite nice though.

Hope some of this helps

Comment

There's one here too: http://www.nickelfreebelts.com/

Prices don't look *too* outrageous.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

hmm. Have you considered "tactical" belts?

I personally don't have problems with the metals in belts but I understand having belts that fray apart and look like crap. At my last job the company-issued belt lost it's "leather" coating after a month. I ended up switching to a "tactical" belt from a holster-company that served me better.

I don't know what you consider expensive, but... I'm over at Midwayusa and see that they have a steel-buckled belt for about 22 bucks. Desantis belt.

Now granted, tactical belts usually run high - but there's always a few that are priced under 30. They're not as pretty as say a "dress belt" but they won't fray or rip. Dress tactical usually run anywhere from 40-90+ depending on how much detail you have. (Although they'll at least last longer than regular dress belts).

but the economy versions are pretty nice at least. The belt I started wearing at the last job was purchased in 2011. It's still holding up.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

You may be able to find a custom leather shop in town. A good custom belt is about triple the cost of a store-bought belt, but will last many times as long, and they'll be able to use brass fittings or whatever you'd prefer.

Comment

Working...
            X