X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rescuing files off of a messed up HDD

That's what I'm doing right now.

my own fault really for getting impatient with my external HDD and shutting it off too soon when it was kinda hung up. and restarting the computer.

Yep I went and made my drive unreadable. Yay! It still functions though.

ain't the first time I've done it. however... for me, "unreadable" doesn't always mean "end of story" for a drive.

got a kickass dock that ... it can't unfuck a hdd once it's been fucked up, but it can at least let me rescue the files.

So right now I'm down to the last of my files to be saved. Then I'm gonna reformat it and transfer the crap back onto it.

then while I'm at it, I'll take a peek at another drive that came up as unreadable. well on the other dock. yes... i have a weird thing about not bothering to put cases on hdds. maybe someday i'll do it, but for now i don't care really. (on the good dock however the files might be accessible)

besides it wasn't the lack of a case that fucked my drive up anyway. all a case would do is keep dust out and maybe provide cooling.

only downside really is that I've discovered my 500G laptop-sized drive is pretty much a piece of crap. maybe someday I'll see if I can take it to a range for target practice. might as well have fun when I sanitize it, right?

actually that'll be a first for me really. first HDD i'd ahve "thrown away". I almost never dispose of HDDs.

Although... you know, now that i've saved the files from this drive - the one i fucked up. maybe... o what the hell. I was thinking of installing it into my BF's G4 anyway. Maybe we can do that instead. I'll see.

Note: yes i thought about putting this in "unsupportable" but... it's not unsupportable since all the files were saved.

yep. got all the files saved.

now i'm just checking out the second HDD to see if my super dock can read it. might take a few minutes though. I don't rush the super dock's magic.

Comment

Does this hunk o' hardware have a name? Sounds handy.

Comment

Working...
      X