Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highlights from the Medieval Fair Of Doom...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlights from the Medieval Fair Of Doom...

So I went to the medieval fair today as a member of the public, rather than a re-enactor. Parents and relatives came along. next year there will hopefully be MORe parents and relatives

A few random highlights from my day:

1. A lot of people come to the fair in costume (which is normal) which can be authentic to varying degrees. Today, some of the more bizarre costumes I encountered were:

-Two girls walking around in burlap sacks. And presumably not much else.

-Several dudes walking around in kilts. The ones with blue facepaint I knew was from another group that does some Celtic war-dancing. A running joke with one of the members of said group has been that his group runs the risk of his performance becoming a strip show if the wind happens to blow a particular way.....

-A few guys walking around in 25C weather shirtless.

-One guy was dressed up in a way that vaguely resembled some of the guys from my boyfriend's sister group. The thing that set him apart from everyone else however was his staff. It had a live snake on top of it. I kid you not.

-A friend's boyfriend resembled something out of Game of Thrones

2. My boyfriend's group had their turn in the arena twice today (which is not unusual, most groups get 2 rounds in the arena per day apart from 1 group which caused some suck-I'll explain in a minute). Now, with the group, we have about a dozen fighters all up, from 2 different states.
    Our commentator in the past was a real awesome guy who could keep the show running and try to keep it authentic. Another commentator is our resident smartass. This year's commentator however....she has an acting background and used it heavily today. Some highlights from her commentary and performance:

-She pretty much YELLED into the mic at top volume sounding more like a rockstar. It worked though, the arena was PACKED

-Her husband happens to be one of the fighters. Throughout the show, she'd start egging on either him or one of the other guys and then going "it's ok, he's my husband." After two solo rounds of him vs. another guy, she kept referring to him as "canary legs". (he wears yellow pants...as do about 5 of the other men)

-She started encouraging my boyfriend, but broke character by going "COME ON <SO>!!!" when he was going solo. Let's just say that he does NOT have a good track record when fighting.

-After one particularly hilarious fight between her husband and another guy, when her husband was dead, she ran over with the mike and conked the guy on the head. In our world, a conk to the helmet translates as an instant kill.

-When it came time of the King and Queen of the day event (two young children are selected, one boy and girl, they divide the group up by schoolyard pick and they then battle to the death ) she asked the boy for some rallying words. His words: "the best thing that they need is a high engine" or something along those lines. I think she was trying to hold in her laughter.

-Our resident smart-ass (who has done commentary in the past) was REALLY hamming it up both during the individual melees and king/queen for the day. He would NOT stop bouncing around. When they were doing the King/Queen for the day, he was bouncing around in front of EVERYONE else non-stop and continued to do so for about 5 minutes even after he was picked. He also did take part in a solo match (1-1) where after he'd killed the guy, he continued to play around doing a little jig.

3. The campsite for my boyfriend's group was...interesting. This year, they added some walls and a tower. Yes, an actual tower. I was so engrossed in my hunt for him the first time that I actually walked right past not only the tower, but he was actually taking watch! Needless to say, the tower got a few good-natured jeers from the general public. (more encouraging the guys on top )

4. Thankfully this year the belly dancers moved AWAY from the main arena, but you could still hear their music. Their performance though....let's just say that I might even consider doing bellydancing in the near future. Especially after I saw that quite a few of them had bigger guts than I did .

5. I ended up speaking with one of the members today. Because my SO has changed personas (he's no longer Viking, he's a Norman crusader mercenary who ends up joining the Hospitalier) I was bouncing around the idea of what I could be with one of the female members. I admitted that my tunic in the past had caused some issues with the feeling that whenever I moved, I would split my tunic (it wasn't small, just tight in the arms). Having seen what our commentator was wearing today (her hubby is Norman and this year, she was Norman/Saxon or something like that) and her being a good size or two bigger than me, I suggested the idea of going Norman or similar. She suggested Saracen.
    Why? Two reasons:

1. Hospitaliers weren't married and he was joining as a brother-knight.

2. Saracens weren't allowed to marry during the era he was portraying.

So technically, I go from becoming his property to becoming his mistress . She's going to help me with a persona for future events. (and a quick Wiki search reveals that Saracens were actually Muslims...)

6. A few of my friends were running their own artwork stall. One of the rules of the fair is that it's a dry zone everywhere apart from certain areas. turns out that one of my friends had been sneaking mead into her drinking horn since 8am that morning-whoops! (she handles alcohol OK and had admitted that it helped her deal with customers better)

7. And here comes the slight suck: I've mentioned before that nearly all groups got 2 rounds in the arena each day, apart from 1 group (turns out it was actually 2 groups). Well, I actually discovered part of why that may have worked in their favour: their performances quite frankly SUCKED.

Group 1: They ran HEAVILY overtime (each group is allocated a 30-minute slot in the arena) and as a result, our groups performance was somewhat cut short. (Instead of several group melees for authenticity, we only had time to do several 1-on-1 skirmishes, 1 free-for-all, one State vs. State and one King/Queen for the day. In our time slot we would've normally added in some strategic moves that our personas would've actually used). Their performance? A lot of grudge matches, a lot of back-and-forthing between their non-fighting members and very few actual authentic style matches.

Group 2: Rumours had been spreading that this particular group had been teaching young members of the public techniques designed to seriously injure others, as well as having one of their members stumbling around drunk/stoned and stealing food from other campsites. This was from last year. Apparently they were banned and one group threatened not to attend if the other group tried to attend anyway (apparently that didn't happen since both groups were present). Their performance this year? They were apparently only able to show off their child warriors.

As for the remaining suck, it was mostly food-related and not entirely the fault of the food vendors. There wasn't so much a lack of food at the food vendors, but rather a lack of food vendors themselves.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    -A few guys walking around in 25C weather shirtless.
    Well, where I'm from 25C is on the upper level of warm. I could see it (though not doing it. I scare people away)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      Well, where I'm from 25C is on the upper level of warm.
      I have to agree. It's 25 in my home now (sunny weather and no AC). and I'm totally nunavut (AKA pantless).

Comment

Fireheart, find yourself a copy of "Claus' Guide to Bad Garb." It should be available online somewhere. It get's so much easier to discuss the various fashion faux pas that you see when you can simply refer to them by number.

Example:

Just call it a #10.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Sounds like it was a ton of fun...we never have anything that involved here. There's a renaissance faire, which I enjoy getting into character for (I have a traveling rogue outfit that I enjoy), but they never do any crowd participation things. Only the usual "king's court" shows that you see everywhere else. You do eventually get some of the RP/LARP crowd, but most of the time it's just people wandering in a big circle doing nothing
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

-Two girls walking around in burlap sacks. And presumably not much else.
            Real, actual burlap?! What the hell were they thinking?! Splinters, rash, itchiness...I do not envy them the pain they must've been in at the end of the day. (It is possible they were wearing monkscloth, Osnaburg or something else with a visible weave but much more comfortable, but still, they could've chosen something that looked better.)
            4. Thankfully this year the belly dancers moved AWAY from the main arena, but you could still hear their music. Their performance though....let's just say that I might even consider doing bellydancing in the near future.
            Belly dancing can be a lot of fun. As long as you've got good healthy knees, as those are constantly in motion during the dance.
            Group 2: Rumours had been spreading that this particular group had been teaching young members of the public techniques designed to seriously injure others, as well as having one of their members stumbling around drunk/stoned and stealing food from other campsites.
            Why is there always a group of jerks who have to ruin the fun?!
            Last edited by XCashier; 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Real, actual burlap?! What the hell were they thinking?! Splinters, rash, itchiness...I do not envy them the pain they must've been in at the end of the day. (It is possible they were wearing monkscloth, Osnaburg or something else with a visible weave but much more comfortable, but still, they could've chosen something that looked better.)
              It was actual burlap type sacks. I'm presuming that they had tshirts or something else on underneath for that, what I was referring to was that they weren't wearing much in the way of visible clothing.

Belly dancing can be a lot of fun. As long as you've got good healthy knees, as those are constantly in motion during the dance.
              I had a bit of a hunt down last night for a group in my area. Sadly the group that performs at the far every year trains way too far away from home for me. I might give it a shot if I move there.

Why is there always a group of jerks who have to ruin the fun?!
              The rumour came from the previous years fair. I didn't see too much of their performance, but because the mike is on constantly and everyone can hear it, I caught most of their round THIS time.

In terms of shopping, I actually picked up some great stuff. Got my mum her Mother's Day present (this stall did a deal with an oil burner, some tea lights and a pack of melts for a decent price, so I got my mum that) as well as some more melts for me (strawberry choc, apricot and watermelon). I also picked up some dried lavender, some dried rosemary and this little cauldron filled with pieces of tumbled gems. I didn't realise until afterwards that the cauldron was plastic, but I don't mind. I'm getting my boyfriend to get me one with coins in it so I can use the empty cauldron to store some of the herbs I bought.

ETA: Forgot one more highlight.

A friend of my boyfriend's was wandering around the fair and I ran into him near the arena. I took him over to our groups campsite, where we ran into captain smartass . Friend of BF loudly announced that he remembered Captain Smartass from BF's 21st. Specifically, the strip club. Whereupon Captain Smartass proceeded to announce loudly (with children nearby) that he remembered Friend of BF because Friend of BF had apparently been drunk enough to spank Captain smartass at said strip club. I burst out laughing . (I also had to remind them that there are children around-this is one of the reasons why Captain Smartass offered not to commentate this year, he told me that his smartarse nature had gotten a tad too smutty)
              Last edited by fireheart; 05-05-2013, 12:41 AM.

Comment

So some more updates post-fair:

-Apparently there was some guy who decided that he could NOT walk to the toilets (which were about 30m away) and decided that answering nature's call in front of the jousting field was the perfect way to relieve himself. (yes, we have jousting. Last year it was a trebuchet)

-One of the groups that had not been at the fair this year due to some complex issue of which I don't have the full story (and hence why I'm not posting it here). The general public who WERE enquiring about them however were told that said group "were not insured." This was in fact incorrect. The group in question posted up a statement correcting this and reminding the committee that they were opening themselves up to slander. (the group DOES have insurance and in fact did have insurance at the time they applied for the fair)

-The opening ceremony ran WAY overtime with various speeches from different people. (I wasn't here for that). As a result, several groups wound up with shortened performances or were forced to run overtime. (the group I mentioned earlier DID actually run overtime and while this contributed to it, the 10 minutes of UN-NEEDED filler crap did not help their time either)

-The group that ran overtime also received quite a bit of criticism about their use of modern-day music in their performance. They do NOT handle criticism well, let me tell you. They tend to come off as "entitled" somewhat.

Comment

There are always those guests who see Faire as an excuse to dress up, without regard to what they're supposed to be dressing as. I've seen Klingons, Star Trek Captains, vampires, and people in full fursuits (who I then saw riding his bike home, with the fursuit on his back. I thought he was cool).
                  Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Quoth Silvercat View Post
                    There are always those guests who see Faire as an excuse to dress up, without regard to what they're supposed to be dressing as. I've seen Klingons, Star Trek Captains, vampires, and people in full fursuits (who I then saw riding his bike home, with the fursuit on his back. I thought he was cool).
                    Renaissance Faire =/= Science Fiction convention! Some people just baffle me utterly...
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Renaissance Faire =/= Science Fiction convention! Some people just baffle me utterly...
                      I don't know...I would probably love anyone who went to a Faire as The Doctor. I mean, in a way, it would make sense...

I know several fursuiters who go to Faires every year (in the mid-summer heat, no less) as well.
                      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                      "What IS fun to fight through?"
                      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                        I don't know...I would probably love anyone who went to a Faire as The Doctor. I mean, in a way, it would make sense...

I know several fursuiters who go to Faires every year (in the mid-summer heat, no less) as well.
                        I have yet to encounter fursuiters. MOst people just dress up like Maid Marian or similar, including some of my friends who run an art stall. (it's fantasy themed, if people want to see their works, PM me and I'll link you)

Actually, it was hilarious because a girlfriend of mine was working the art stall and she was like "OHAI, I'll have to air hug you"

Comment

Working...
                        X