This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's Something That Never Happens!

Friday, near the end of my day shift, I was cashing out a couple sitting at my bar, while we were rather busy. The guy said, "Oh, I need the local's discount." As is policy, I very politely said, "Certainly sir. May I see your local ID?" At which point he got annoyed, because he didn't have his local ID. Sarcastically, he asked if his utility bill would work. Quite seriously, I said it would. (This is not like alcohol sales...anything that proves they live here is fine by us, and fine by management.) At which point he blew up. "Fuck this shit. I'm in here all the time at night, and I've never been asked for a local ID. You all know me here. Just give me my fucking bill and stop being such an asshole." Or something to that effect. A bit taken aback, I printed his bill, and added the local's discount, which actually only applied to one item, as the rest were all happy hour items, which are already discounted. Basically, he blew up for what amounted to about 65 cents. I put the bill in front of him and his wife (who looked utterly mortified by his outburst) and said, by politely, "There you go, sir. With your local's discount." Yeah, normally I stick by my guns, but in this instance, I figured I'd just rather shut him up. He paid, tipped (poorly), and stormed out, his silent but obviously embarrassed wife in tow.

At this point, I know what you're thinking. "How is this something that never happens?" It isn't. THIS is:

So I had just finished my shift, and was sitting quietly eating my dinner, drinking beer, and checking Facebook on my iPad. A guy walks up to me and says, "I owe you an apology." Not recognizing him at first, I very sincerely asked, "For what?" Initially I thought it was a customer being a smartest or comedian, as often happens. He reminded me of Friday night, and once he knew I remembered him quite clearly, he very humbly and very graciously applied for his outburst, which he said "was completely out of line" and unacceptable. And then he proceeded to insist on buying me a beer. Which, of course, is ALWAYS my favorite kind of apology! . He said he actually thought of sending flowers, but didn't know how that would be interpreted. I told him that a beer is my favorite kind of flower (true), and it was all good...especially since such an apology, especially as gracious as it was, NEVER fucking happens.

So, yeah...someone was a royal dick about something piddly, and actually made the effort to find me and apologize. Said he came in this weekend, but I wasn't working (I wasn't), and he still made the effort to come in just for that. And that's all he was here for....I talked to him and his wife (who told me how mortified she had been at the time), he paid for my beer, and they left.

And I'm sorry, folks, say what you will about him and his motives, but having talked to him myself, I fully believe him to have been sincere in his apology. He kept saying that it wasn't acceptable and that he shouldn't have done it, and I told him, also quite sincerely, that as far as I was concerned, it was history, and nothing more.

And that is why this story doesn't go in Sucky Customers.
    Last edited by Jester; 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

That's amazing, and I wish it happened more often. Just shows that sometimes people act like idiots, realize it, and make amends.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Somtimes? As a bartender, at least (as opposed to my personal life), I find it very, very rare. How rare? Rare enough to post about it here as something you never see!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye....
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye....
          Is it the next sign of the apocalypse? Because I think we're up to the 5th or 6th one now...
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
            Is it the next sign of the apocalypse? Because I think we're up to the 5th or 6th one now...
            Yeah I will add my vote to this one. The same thing happens with me when a long term serial stiffer suddenly and without warning tips WELL and continues to do so in the future.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
            X